Sprinkler zones

Our water comes from our well. When we built, we had sprinklers installed...keeps the weeds healthy :)

There are two sprinkler zones. Each has sufficient outlets so that the well pump runs constantly instead on-off-on-off etcetera. It is my understanding that this is good as it reduces wear and tear on the pump.

I would now like to add a third zone but there would not be enough outlets to keep the pump from kicking on and off while that zone is active. How is that situation normally handled.

Reply to
dadiOH

Probably trial and error. Try running all 3 zones at the same time and see how it works. If it doesn't work well alternate 2 different zones at a time.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

You not only have a choice in the number of heads, but also in the flow rate of the head. In many cases, eg rotors, you can change the nozzle to change the flow rate. Sooooo, by chosing heads/nozzles with a higher flow rate you can keep the pump running with less heads and then water for a shorter time. If that is impractical, then running two zones at the same time, per the previous advice is another option.

Reply to
trader4

I see you have mastered the 4th dimension - time. Well done, Master Luke. ;)

RicodJour

Add it to one of the other zones. Or get a bigger tank.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Thanks for the replies, folks. Unfortunately, adding to an existing zone or running together *with* an existing zone aren't viable options for me because in both cases it would decrease the throw of the existing zone which I don't want to do.

Any other ideas?

Reply to
dadiOH

Use the pump trigger on your timer to force the pump to stay on.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Trader nailed it. By playing with the number of heads on a line and changing nozzles to adjust the flow rate you can balance almost anything. If you take heads off an existing zone, and add them to the new zone so it has enough heads, then bump up the nozzles to higher flow rates on the existing zone.

I don't have the link handy, but if you DAGS sprinkler irrigation tutorial, you should get a really excellent sprinkler site (not the best looking, but the best information) with step by step procedures to help you tackle it. It boils down to calculations, so you'll have to know pressure (while running and not), flow rate, distances, number of heads, and nozzle flow rates. That's the starting point, then you tweak with the nozzles from there.

RicodJour

Add more sprinkler heads in your 3rd zone until it draws enough to keep the pump running then run the first 2 at one time and the 3rd at another time. Of course the 3rd wouldn't have to run as long with all the extra sprinklers.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

People seem to be thinking that the existing two zones are run at the same time. I'm not aware of any typical residential controllers that allow that. I assumed he was running one zone, then the next.

In either event, he has to balance the zones' time vs flow, by adjusting the number of heads and nozzle flow rates, to make the system work.

RicodJour

Exactly

Considering the fact that the first two zones are pretty much maxed out and that I need a relatively small number of heads on the proposed third zone, I may just cinvince my wife to use a hose :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Hey I have an idea, install a motor speed controller for the well pump! ;-)

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Will using the hose keep the pump running or cycling?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

=A0;-)- Hide quoted text -

Unlikely to work on his pump motor.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Cyclying. But so does the shower. The difference is that the shower doesn't run for 45 minutes. Usually.

A hose would put out a lot more water over a given period of time than would a few micro heads. OTOH the heads I need would only use maybe 60 GPH, maybe the pump wouldn't cycle all that much.

Reply to
dadiOH

Both Rico and I have pointed out that by sizing the heads in the new zone to the right flow rate, you can keep the pump running. What's the problem with that? If you want an accurate answer, providing some additional information would be a good idea, ie what kind of heads, how many, what size area, what the flow rate needs to be to keep the pump on, etc.

Reply to
trader4

He already stated that he needs a fairly small number of heads on the new zone. There are limits to the head sizing range depending on the type of head. So your solution works in some situations but not all. It sounds like his case is one where it doesn't work.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

That's not clear at all. What's clear is that a correct solution might involve more time and money than it's worth, considering the benefit. And he already has a backup plan Plan Hosen Wifen. ;)

RicodJour

Read the posts.

'I need a relatively small number of heads on the proposed third zone'

You can only adjust the total zone gph within a range based on nozzles available and number of heads.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The problem is that there would only be about 15-20 micro sprays. They

*could* use maybe 150-200 GPH but I have to choke them down (with little individual valves) to about half that to keep the well water and resultant rust off the house, walks, etc. To keep the pump on, I'd need to use 300+GPH (guestimate)
Reply to
dadiOH