Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

Maybe the ones who came 5 thousand years ago.

I wonder how many of those who are making the biggest fuss have ancestors who came over illegally.

" Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." (As long as they speak English) ...

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That also makes it a lot easier to export products south of the border. Similarly, you'll find plenty of consumer goods with directions and labeling in French, so they can be exported to Canada with the same labeling. My new U.S.-made double oven even has installation instructions in Japanese, not that we have lots of illegal Japanese labor in the U.S., but because Japan is a major export market.

Despite all the rhetoric to the contrary, the U.S. is still a huge manufacturing power that exports all over the world.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

Umm, "in the beginning" there were no immigration laws so it would be *impossible* for them to have come here illegally, "in the beginning".

Reply to
Keith Williams

You trying to live in these areas or did you try to get by in the hotels and tourist sections? BIG difference.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

By not being able to get higher paying jobs, harder to get higher education, etc. You gonna tell me you know many successful people in the US who speak ONLY Spanish.

Yeah, but I still hold out some hope for you...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In article , "JosEnglish is THE language of business and science.

That's BS. There never has been one overriding religion that everyone needed to adhere to.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

So, when my local government prints voters guides and ballots in Chinese, they're pandering to Hispanics?

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

In article , "

No, as long as they willing to LEARN to speak English. The Irish, Italians, and every other wave of immigrants did that as part of their assimilation to society.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Oh, those poor stupid Mennonites, here for *centuries* and many are still so stupid they speak German.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

All, at least the ones I grew up with, spoke English, also. The debate is seldom about English only, but hey don't let that get in your way...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Same here. As long as I made a little effort to attempt their language, I've always found foreigners to be helpful. Maybe if you don't act like un pendejo, it helps.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hopefully, this language thing concerned you just as much during the last election. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Let's see....they print them in Chinese because Chinese citizens contribute something positive to the society, and pay taxes. I wonder why some people have problems extending that concept to Hispanics? Or, "Hispanicals", as a certain George likes to say.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Tell that to the natives, what's left of them.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Not sure what you mean. Actually language should be a non-issue in elections since (1). you have to learn English to get citizenship (2)have 18 years to learn it if you get citizenship by being born here...

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Actually I am wondering why. It should be a non-issue as I mentioned in another post.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

In article ,

The various tribes had immigration LAWS in place. Who knew?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Nope. It's an easily verifiable fact for anyone who knows how to use a library.

Reply to
Mys Terry

Gee, I don't think it is likely to happen often in the US. Do you?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

No I got by in the public markets, non-tourist areas. There has always been ways to communicate, lots of mixed language and pointing usually gets the job done. More often than not someone around can translate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan