Re: Stanley is buying Black and Decker for $4.5 billion in stock

"diggerop" wrote in news:b5udnXOgoLul023XnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@westnet.com.au:

>> J. Clarke wrote: >>>> R>>>>>> In other news Ryobi bought Festool. >>>>>> ;-) >>>>>> -- >>>>>> Froz... >>>>> Now THAT ain't funny! >>>> >>>> I dunno, I think it would be hilarious--teach the bloody Germans >>>> that their strategy of pricing their tools as luxury items is a >>>> loser and that some cheap purveyor of consumer crap can buy them >>>> out out of petty cash. >>> >>> Don't think they can unless Festool (TTL Gmbh) wants to be bought >>> irregardless of how deep their pockets are. AFAICT, they're totally >>> privately held and put out no financial information whatsoever >>> publicly. >>> >>> -- >> >> Regardless of what many think, irregardless isn't a word. >> >> >> > > > Merriam-webster disagrees with you > >

I disagree that it is an accepted word, and so does Merriam Webster. It says: Use regardless instead

Reply to
Han

diggerop switches to pedantic mode ........

It certainly does advise using "regardless" instead, however it also says that irregardless is indeed a word, even though it is a long way from general acceptance.

From Merriam Webster's entry.......

"The most frequently repeated remark about it is that ?there is no such word.? There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead."

I imagine some will continue to use it, irregardless. ; )

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

"Irregardless" hurts my head just like "fact of the matter" hurts my head.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Irregardless" hurts my head just like "fact of the matter" hurts my head.

Well, the fa...... oh never mind ; )

Reply to
diggerop

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:17:37 -0600, the infamous "Leon" scrawled the following:

AND you now have the clap!

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009 23:37:35 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

That reminds me of the ditty "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes a social truth."

See it in "The Dumbing Down of America" on the Useless Channel, #4378!

I didn't give up TeeVee for nothing. Hmm, I mean I dropped sat TV because there were 500 channels of nothing on. I mean, I'd already seen all 36 History Channel shows and 7 original SciFi channel movies. Netflix does me right. I get 4 movies a week and absolutely no noisy commercials (previews are skippable) and it only costs $12.99/month. Now I'm reading a lot more -and- getting my projects done instead. I reroofed the pumphouse so I can clean crap out of my shop. I put up a carport and can't believe how many acorns are hitting it now, instead of hitting my new truck. That little oak is not long for this world. Who wants it? Free for the cutting. Located in Grass Pants, OR.

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That about sums up how I feel about Halliburton, Blackwater, KBR, and bombing the shit out of the infrastructure and civilians of Iraq - useless profiteering bastards.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I don't understand. Who would you rather they bomb? They've got to bomb SOMEBODY - that's what they do.

Reply to
HeyBub

K-Street and Wall Street might be a good start... I wouldn't need much compellin' to be on board with those targets...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

ir·re·gard·less (ir'i-gärd?lis)

adv. Nonstandard Regardless.

[Probably blend of irrespective and regardless.]

Usage Note: Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright © 2006, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

Reply to
Max

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 21:01:24 +0800, the infamous "diggerop" scrawled the following:

I have a few, too.

Try and

There's many

Newkyaler

Where you at?

Bring (when it really should be "take")

I really -don't- miss hearing every one of those spoken repeatedly on TV every day. It's bad enough reading them in the newspaper.

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:54:57 -0500, the infamous Greg G. scrawled the following:

And I feel that way with the numerous pay increases the CONgresscritters gave to themselves while the economy folded around them and us. Well, give them one more inch (or mile, i.e. Obamacare) and they'll produce the critical mass necessary for the second American Revolution. Got ammo? Got a bunker? Duck!

-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hey, it's not only CONgresscritters. Four years ago I was assaulted by members of the Federalist Society concerning the absolute need for pay raises for US attorneys. Apparently $500+ an hour plus taxpayer paid health care benefits wasn't enough. Their argument was that since they could make more money in the "free market", they deserved more to represent taxpayers - like that ever happens. And then there are the judges who vet out "justice" based upon monetary contributions - they want pay raises too.

As for the health care debate - something has to be done. But the day that government demands that I pay a bloated avaricious private industry for health insurance, (ala Mitt Romney's, Mass Health Care), is the day I take the lot of them out with RPGs.

Know who Monsanto is - the US farmer's nemesis? Clarence Thomas, an ex-Monsanto lawyer and Bush appointee to the Supreme Court, wrote the ruling that effectively killed off many hard working US farmers who could not afford to fight Monsanto in Court over GMO soybean and corn seeds. Crop contamination by wind blown pollen caused many farmers to be sued by Monsanto - and put out of business or left in bankruptcy with huge legal bills. The Canadian Courts originally told Monsanto to go f*ck themselves, but the ever compliant, bought and paid for, sorry ass excuses for justice in this country enforced Monsanto's claims against farmers who had never bought or planted any Monsanto seed. The end result is that you can barely find a corn or soybean crop in this country that has not been contaminated by Monsanto's "wonder genes" - thereby rendering every farmer on the American continent subject to adverse rulings by a corrupt court and an avaricious company that wants to own and control the food we eat. And they are working hard to bribe the officials of foreign countries into the same scenario.

My point is that, from all appearances, you are trying to make this a partisan issue, when in fact it is endemic in both parties - although the right seems more intent on protecting huge corporations (and huge contributors) at the expense of the average working man. Is that really your intent? The right is no more interested in your well being than they are that of a fly on a pile of dung. It's all lip service and BS.

Got ammo? Got a bunker? You bet, and I've been ready for the past 20 years while a nation of sheep bleated and twisted in the wind. You are so Owned!

You want change you can believe in? Kill K-street, enforce campaign contribution limits, and vote for people who give a shit, not the fucktards they dole out at each election. Ignore the BS the media spits out; they are complicit - and that especially includes FOX News, fake grassroots Tea Parties, and just about everything you can't directly observe, touch and feel.

And BTW, who the hell spends 140 million dollars of personal funds to win the mayorship of a city without expecting some pretty serious payback? There is something very wrong with this picture...

Just my casual observations...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Irregardless of how much it might hurt your head, the fact of the matter is, who cares?

Reply to
Jack Stein

All a word needs to be a word is usage. If used enough, it gets in the dictionary. The dictionary is always the last to know a word is a word...

time in edited prose.

It is used a lot, so much in fact, it is found in most every dictionary. Matter of fact, it has some really entertaining social value, if you're a fan of Robocop, the spell wizard.

Reply to
Jack Stein

You already had us convinced that you don't care about language.

Reply to
Robatoy