Re: College Senior Needs Help With Spray Booth Best Practices

I'm a student at Keene State College in Keene, NH. =A0I am working on a

> safety program for the campus wood shop for my senior capstone class > which is needed for my bachelor's in Safety Studies. > > Right now I am focusing on the spray booth and in need of some > professional help or suggestions. =A0The booth has many problems > including no air filter and lack of fire protection. =A0I have NFPA > documents as well as OSHA but I am looking for BEST PRACTICES, not > just what OSHA wants, since schools are not covered by them anyway. =A0I > need to dazzle my professor as well as the Dean on a safe booth. > > If anyone has any examples, material or links that are solid enough to > propose to my school it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you need > a more detailed description of the booth to make a fair assessment I > will do so. > > Thank you!

Hey, what's up with you guys? I told my son the wreck was the place to go for some solid info and you're all asleep...

Let's help get this kid graduated so I don't have to feed him for the next 5 years;+}

-Jim

Reply to
jtpr

jtpr wrote: ...

I tend to agree w/ the answer posted by Mike altho I'm sure some of those here have a fair amount of experience at least...

I'd only comment on the above "need to dazzle" as being a typical thought/intent of the student of how to impress. What I'd suggest instead of what that implies to me of "gee-whiz every new bell and whistle the manufacturers have in their catalogs" is _IF_ (yet again w/ the proverbial "big if" :) ) the point is to really provide something useful for the department as a result of the project to concentrate on meeting two objectives --

1) the regulatory and safety issues wherein OSHA/EPA/NFPA/etc. come into play, and 2) effectiveness and efficiency of the booth area for the usage it gets and purposes it serves.

In accomplishing these objectives, I would give highest marks on innovative and cost-effective techniques for achieving the goals rather than more emphasis on necessarily "dazzling" products possible to acquire if on unlimited budget.

As was discussed in another thread within the last day or so, I'm closely associated w/ a community college/tech school Foundation whose mission is to provide such support and enable enhancements for the institution and students. Endowment and other resources are always limited and are even more so at the moment for us and all such organizations given the happenings in the financial markets and the current economic situation. Hence, figuring out how to get "most bang for the buck" into the project will, imo, both impress those looking at the work as well as have the most likelihood of producing something that might actually be of some use to the institution itself. (Assuming, of course, that is an objective).

$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., of course...

--

Reply to
dpb

Hey, what's up with you guys? I told my son the wreck was the place to go for some solid info and you're all asleep...

Let's help get this kid graduated so I don't have to feed him for the next 5 years;+}

PERHAPS if you directed him to a bit more appropriate group, Professional spray booth maybe, especially if you want something with better guide line spec's than OSHA.

Reply to
Leon

It might be appropriate for his "mentor" to point him toward suppliers of the equipment in which he is interested. Some "Googling" for spray booths and ancillary equipment should be productive.

Max

Reply to
Max

I know, it is totally bizarre that all of the creaky characters on the wreck sleep at night.

BTW, I'm pretty sure it is spelled keen, that New Hampshire is a protectorate and not a state (unless it is a state of mind (Don't Tread On Me!), that you don't have a son, the kid doesn't have a dad, and that you're lying about getting solid info on the wreck. ;)

RicodJour

Would love to help if I could. while I'm a somewhat competent woodworker and cabinetmaker, that doesn't qualify me with much expertise in spray booth's to advise ... except to lust after enough space to have one.

Feel your pain in that regard. Mine youngest is contemplating moving back home due to the almost impossible task of finding a "job", as opposed to "work" ... a distinction the current administration has apparently not snapped to yet when reporting rosily on job creation.

Prepare yourself for the same ...

Reply to
Swingman

I understand, every idea we come across we do a cost benefit analysis to make sure it is presentable to the school. The building the wood shop and spray booth are in is going to be renovated and the budget is fairly substantial thanks to the ever rising amount of tuition...

I am still grateful for your help though.

Reply to
Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan wrote: ...

Hmmm...few institutions I'm aware of actually cover all costs via tuition... :)

But, given that as the background, I'd reiterate the suggestion to look at other recognized institutions w/ similar programs to those offered or intended to be offered for ideas. Again, no indication of what the emphasis is so don't know if this would be something like NC State's industrial program or the North Bennett Street School.

--

Reply to
dpb

Helping design, install and commission an automotive paint line was actually one of my first assignments as a newly minted engineer. The plant was located about half a mile directly upwind of the newly created state EPA office. Meeting emissions requirements was a big deal, don't you see.

2 primer booths, 2 accent color booths, 3 main color booths. Electrostatic primer system, some robots, mostly highly experienced people doing the painting. Today it would probably be all robotic except for perhaps the final color booth. The person in that last booth was the one that ensured those fascias would come out of the bake oven the proper color so that it matched the (metal paint is different than polymer paint) body color when it was bolted on the car 350 miles or more away. I think that plant was where the phrase "Shit happens" originated.

Your best bet for current info is to directly contact the vendors. Binks, Devilbiss, and many others. I'm not sure who the major players are any more. I left the automotive arena for the petrochemical world 30+ years ago. Contact the maker of your spray booth and see what they recommend. Call Ford or GM and ask them about their paint lines. Probably a lot of powder coating nowadays. Go the library. Lots of books there that will help you decide what to do.

I'm afraid it is a truism that nobody is going to give you the answer. You'll learn a lot more figuring all this out yourself. Then 30-40 years from now when somebody asks a question like this, you'll understand why I am answering it this way, and you will probably do the same.

Best of luck, and Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy