Stanley is buying Black and Decker for $4.5 billion in stock

just thought i'd pass along the news...

Reply to
eag111

:

FrozenNorth

Creating an even bigger, tax dodging producer of mediocrity.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Now THAT ain't funny!

Reply to
RonB

I heard Harbor Freight bought Festool.

RicodJour

I dunno, I think it would be hilarious--teach the bloody Germans that their strategy of pricing their tools as luxury items is a loser and that some cheap purveyor of consumer crap can buy them out out of petty cash.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Don't think they can unless Festool (TTL Gmbh) wants to be bought irregardless of how deep their pockets are. AFAICT, they're totally privately held and put out no financial information whatsoever publicly.

--

Reply to
dpb

Lessee now: B&D includes DeWalt, Delta, Porter-Cable and Price Pfister, plus, I think, Kwikset, amongst others.

It should be interesting, unless you're one of the employees who gets laid off in the consolidation.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Now starts the RIF, Lack of work, or whatever excuse necessary to reduce the work force except for the golden parachutes given a few.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"loser" "cheap purveyor of consumer crap" "petty cash"

It seems that Festool is making a profit and satisfying their customers needs.

What's your problem with that? Can' afford it?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Regardless of what many think, irregardless isn't a word.

Reply to
Joe

That's only after Obama seizes the company and demands those few have their pay slashed...

Gordon Shumway

What color do Smurfs become when they hold their breath?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

And B & D already is a part of:

? The Company?s new product and service commitment to the consumer channel of distribution earned it the Vendor of the Year awards from Wal-Mart, Builders Square, L.G. Cook, BMA, Channel Home Centers, and several other U.S.A. key accounts. Also launched the selected Elu line of professional power tools for Europe. .....

1995 ? The new line of DeWalt Professional Power Tools & Accessories launches in Europe ...... 2003 - Black & Decker ® purchase Baldwin Hardware Corporation and Weiser Lock Corporation from Masco, for a cash purchase price for the transaction in the region of $275 million ..... 2004 - Black & Decker ® announce the purchase of the Tools Group from Pentair, Inc. (NYSE: PNR) for approximately $775 million in cash. The Tools Group, which includes the Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air Power, Oldham Saw, and FLEX businesses, had sales of $1.08 billion and operating profit of $82 million in 2003.

snipped-for-privacy@aolnojunk.com wrote:

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

"Scott Lurndal" wrote

It's a question of utilitarian value.

Max (What's it worth to *ME*)

Reply to
Max

Teach them a lesson?????

I think we could take lessons from the Germans in this category. They tend to have excellent quality control, they insure that no one gets a better deal because of some political association with a friend. They support you supporting your local supplier rather than buying from some one across the country.

Seems to be a winning strategy that has been working for decades. IIRC what we are doing is not working so well.

Reply to
Leon

Hey I just bought 4 shares of each so now "I" own Stanley and B&D.

Reply to
Leon

If it looks like a word, sounds like a word, and is spelt like a word, why ain't it a word?

Reply to
Jack Stein

What word isn't a word?

Reply to
Leon

Merriam-webster disagrees with you

diggerop

Regardless, it's a perfectly good word meaning "lacking an irregard".

Reply to
J. Clarke