The house that we are going to buy was inspected and a mold of black
color was found in the attic. It grows on several, but not all, beams
that support the roof, however those with the mold are infected
The house was built in 1988 and, apart from this mold thing, the
inspection did not find anything serious. According to the contract,
sellers must do the cleanup if it is $750 or less, however I don't
think they can do it for that cheap here (Central Virginia).
After search in this newsgroup, I realized that this mold could be a
serious problem. So I don't know what should I do. Should I look for
another house or get the seller clean it up no matter what?
I don't think black mold is as bad a problem as hysterical people like to
believe. It is serious, but if it's growing on an exposed surface like
that you can kill it easily by spraying with a fungicide suitable for
indoor use. If it's inside the walls, it's a little harder to deal with.
But mold indicates a moisture problem. That's what I would be concerned
about. Does the roof leak? Or maybe it's not vented properly?
Molds of all kinds *can* be serious to some people.
You won't know the true extent of the problem
or whether you (and maybe your children) are susceptible
until you have lived there for maybe a year.
Will you get an iron-clad guarantee from the seller
that any cleanup will be 100% effective and that they
will take back the house if you find it is a problem?
Will the realtor offer to buy it back?
No, I didn't think so.
I'm currently dealing with a problem house; it is not fun.
Look for another.
If you have children...........pass
If you have any respiratory issues.........pass
If your symptomatic to allergens........pass
If you can get in writing that this problem will be fixed and the moisture
problem will be located and repaired before the p and s.....think about it
If it were me, it would be part of the negotiations, and they would have to
make it worth my while.
But if I were you I would pass.......you'll find another, better house.
keep looking, sooner or later you gonna find one without mold.. one less
worry about it.... my homeowners insurance sent out a notice on renewal
that they dont cover mold in houses any longer....
that way you dont have to worry about it coming back as most mold will
Uh, but do you REALLY want to buy a moldy house. I mean do you
REALLY???? I inherited a house with black mold, but fortunately, it was
in the basement and on concrete/painted surfaces that were easily
remedied, and really chewed into drywall and 2x4s that weren't
structural in nature at all -- so it all got ripped out. There are
people who have had to have their entire house torn down because of
black mold permeating structural wood.
Once mold gets into wood, it lives there forever until you remove the
wood completely. If you have the money and the means to remove your
entire roof, then fine, go with it. Otherwise, pass pass pass on that
Black mold can fuck you up big time. Period.
andrei firstname.lastname@example.org (Andrei) wrote:
I would not consider it, unless the contract allowed me to hire the mold
and roof correction crews and that the sale was on hold until I get the
reports/estimates back from both and I could decide to accept or reject the
sale at that time.
Until you have real estimates you are buying something blind. The
largest investment you are ever likely to make and you have no way of
knowing what is going on, other than there is some sort of mold problem.
Yes you have two problems, one mold and one the reason for the mold.
andrei email@example.com (Andrei) wrote:
Contrary to the group wisdom, I say -- don't worry about the mold per
se, but be concerned about the quality of the roof -- it's a good
indication of moisture problems.
The roof is 22 years old. 1988 is well into the staplegun era of home
construction, so it may well have been built near the minimum acceptable
standards of materials and methods specified at the time. . . . .
probably time to replace the roof, that's all. Might not hurt to improve
the whole roof-gutter-flashing etc. system, improve the venting, r/r
attic insulation --- no time like when you buy!
My personal opinion on mold is that, in general (with allowances for the
VERY FEW idiopathically susceptible individuals) the frothing panic
people get into over mold is vastly overblown, and symptomatic of a risk
averse society incabable of rationally assessing risk.
Buy your house and make it nicer than it is today.
the part of < firstname.lastname@example.org>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p
Mold on rafters indicates a leaking roof or condensation forming in
winter due to improper ventilation, Either or both may be happening.
Mold can be killed by spraying with bleach. It has to be fixed first, is
it worth the headache. If yes future testing and work has to be figured
Spraying with bleach only kills surface mold. If left unchecked for a
long time, mold's like termites and nail fungus -- it just keeps
burrowing deeper and deeper. You might kill the surface stuff, but if it
ate deep into the wood, it'll resurface several weeks or months after
you've kill the surface stuff. Topical solution is rarely the solution
for the heavy stuff.
email@example.com (m Ransley) wrote:
I don't get into a panic about mold, but I do know it's not a good
thing. I also know that once it gets into wood, it's there for good, and
the only way to eliminate the mold for good is to eliminate the moldy
wood. If you think buying a house that possibly needs the whole roof
structure replaced at a cost of several grand and several weeks of major
inconvenience is a good idea, that's fine. Most people wouldn't.
On 16 Dec 2003 17:53:05 -0800, andrei firstname.lastname@example.org (Andrei) wrote:
Like others have said the whole MOLD issue is overblown.
We bought a house two years ago and found mold in the attic and on the
joists in the basement.
We couldn't prove that the previous owners knew of the mold so we had
no recourse. Consider yourself lucky the home inspector you got
looked for mold. We used a Homecheck inspector and the guy didn't
look for any mold. They even have in their disclaimer a statement
saying that they do not look for molds, mildew, etc....
We are in the process of cleaning the mold. We will replace the roof
and add more soffit vents and add a ridge vent for increased air
We are more concerned about the structural damage the mold caused that
the health concerns. We didn't find the so called killer black mold
"Stachybotrys" Other molds are black too.
If I would have known about the mold I would have run away from this
Regardless of how dangerous you think MOLD is it will kill the resale
value of the house if/when you try to resale. Once you have the
problem you are required to disclose it.
Again, move on and fins another house and consider yourself lucky you
didn't close yet!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.