Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

Possible for some crops, but the fact remains that there *are* some which are simply too delicate to be managed with machinery.

I didn't say it was OK - I said it's a fact of life at the moment. If Mexicans didn't think this work was better than what's available to them at home, they wouldn't come here. As far as chemicals, that's a whole different topic we shouldn't get any deeper into. It's enough to say that the problem exists because people are paid to let it exist, and it would be a problem regardless of who was doing the vegetable picking.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Good idea, maybe you should leave? Why do you want those who disagree with your prejudice should leave?

So you think it is wrong to offer signs in Spanish for those who are hear less than one year?

If we think you are not a good citizen, should we tell you to leave?

The question was about Home Depot providing the signs. No one is asking you to. Why do you feel the way you do? Do you fear something.

How is your opinion that certain people should leave a fact? It may be a fact that someone does not know English, but what that means about their right to remain in this country is opinion not fact. Do you need a definition of fact in another language?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

How do you figure that? I don't recall a law to that effect.

You need to get out more often. It is done in English, Spanish, French Japanese and many other languages.

BTW, how do you feel about Native American languages. It was there country long before the English came.

It does?? How? I had one kid working for me some years ago who could speak 5 languages well. He was screwed up, but I assure you it had nothing to do with language.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My grandparents in Ireland were punished for not speaking English in schools in their own country. Was that just? Sound not the parents and the individual have the choice? Why do people feel that they must make the decision for others.

In real life, most all of the people in the US are going to learn English. But why do some people feel so threatened by those who don't that they want to force it on others?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And that hurts you exactly how?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I know at least a half dozen recent immigrants who can spell "tongue".

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Spoken like a true bigot.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

But why does it concern you? If they think it makes life easier to them, they will learn. What other things would you want to change about them? I wonder what they might want to change about you? IMO Diversity is one thing that makes a great country. The fear and hate of diversity is what makes a terrible country.

I might suggest that the question was about signs at Home Depot.

I think that the question of public education should be reviewed.

I might also remind you of the treatment of Native Americans in this country and forcing their children to not only learn English, but punishing them for using their native languages. To me that was a truly ugly part of our history. I see much of the same attitudes showing up here.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Their lives suck, and they need to lash out at someone. Today, Mexicans. Yesterday, Jews, blacks, Germans, Irish, Italians, native Americans blah blah blah. It's pathetic.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Joseph, I was being sarcastic. Taking things to the absurd, if you will.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's too bad that we live in a country where it is not obvious that you were being sarcastic. There are too many people who believe it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Left turn! Last week, NPR was interviewing people in Washington DC - protesters on both sides of the new immigration law issue. One guy was especially interesting - a construction worker originally from Mexico. He said (in perfect English) "I never finished school, but I still read a lot of history. From what I can figure out, NOBODY came here legally in the beginning!"

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Not true and you know it. America is an abbreviation of the United States of America. No other country in North, Central, or South American have "American" in the title of the country. So it is quite clear when when says "America" they mean the USA. If you don't want to believe that you are just being obtuse.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

no I don't

no it is not

No other country in North, Central, or South

not to anyone in the rest of the "Americas" outside of the US

If you don't want to

United States of "America" is one of many countries in the "Americas". Try telling someone from any other country in the "Americas" that they are not "American" and see how far you get with them. You are the one that is obtuse and US centric. We are all "Americans" whether you like it or not

Reply to
Spike2

It concerns me because it makes for a permanent underclass. As I mentioned, they can retain the old ways (like the Chinese, Irish and other number of previous waves of immigration over the years). But they ALSO need to learn Spanish to function in the society.

You might suggest that, and I would have to agree originally. But the discussion has evolved into the rest of it.

I don't. There is no punishment, aside from self-inflicted, in this case. The studies show that the punishment (by not assimilating, having problems communicating, limiting advancement, etc) is more subtle and inflicted on them by those trying to "help" them.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

There's a big difference between what's correct in terms of geography, and saying someone is "American", which indicates nationality, political loyalties and certain ways of thinking. Do *not* try and claim that the second half of that sentence applies in any way outside of the USA.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

no to me

You are confused. A person from florida is a floridian. A person from Texas is a Texan. They may be a democrat or a republican. A person from the anywhere in the "Americas" is an "American" Do *not* try to use your US political correctness to redefine words used by the rest of the world because that only works in your little xenophobic reality while the internet crosses those boundaries and that is where you are postulating now. :)

Reply to
Spike2

You think someone from Bolivia has the same nationality and political loyalties as we do, because Bolivia is on a continent called South America??? Yes, or no.

Now you're naming states which ARE in this country. But above, you claimed that people from other COUNTRIES in the Americas were the subject here. Which is it?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

No, because he is not a citizen of the "United States of America"which is located on the continent of North America, and is a country, not a continent. In fact, Some of the "United States of America" is not even located in America at all. Nonetheless, someone who is a citizen of Bolivia is an American.

We call Native Americans from North America "Indians", although relatively few have ever been to India.

Reply to
Mys Terry

I'm quite sure you'd be laughed at if you said that to a Bolivian, especially at this point in time.

Reply to
Doug Kanter