Is this true about Home Depot all inside signs had to have the Spanish equivalent ????

Hopefully, we'll soon see a merger between Kroger and Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and all will be well in the farm business.

????????????????????

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That bit about "required" is ridiculous. Do you think that if we suddenly had a huge shortage of farm laborers, people would suddenly be prepared to do without half the produce they're accustomed to eating?

But, I'll humor you anyway and give you a bit of an education, since you're obviously not a gardener. There's a large category of plants which continue producing after the first harvest. Tomatoes, cucumbers and summer squash are three examples. And, the parts we harvest are tender and can't be beat up by a machine. If you need to know more about this, go to Google, and search for the words "cooperative extension" along with the name of your state. Find a phone number and call them.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Illogical, but I'll play anyway. Let's say that by some miracle, all immigrants were infused with perfect English skills as they crossed the border. Since you've said that language is the key to better jobs, perhaps none of these people would accept farm jobs. Who do you think would fill the void?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You want supporting facts? Do you live anywhere near farms which use seasonal laborers? Stop by during the harvest season and ask the farmer or foreman if you can talk to some of the "American" kids from the surrounding school districts. You'll be lucky to find any.

I think you may be living in a squeaky clean world, and you've never actually seen how your food gets to the supermarket.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

what's your IQ?

Reply to
Spike2

the school of hard knocks. ;)

Reply to
Spike2

It appears you've lost any traction you believed you had earlier in this discussion.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

So is the appropriate smart-ass remark "Anecdote is not the same as data" or some admonishment about the futility of n=1 studies (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

....which leads one to wonder where reasoning skills come from. Parents? Schools? The passage of years?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Was there a fraternity there named "Steal Hubba Cappa"?

Reply to
Mys Terry

I'm betting your age is a higher number!

Reply to
Mys Terry

Talk about illogical. First of all no one is suggesting that everyone will know upon arrival. That was never a requirement in any of the other great waves of immigration. But the expectation was that they would learn. Secondly "perhaps none of these would accept" farm jobs is a strawman of Kong-like proportions.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I don't know. Ain't nothin' but locals around here doing the detasselling of corn.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

What about produce that can't be removed from the plant or the ground via machine? Who does all that work?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

you'd lose!

Reply to
Spike2

at least I had some!

Reply to
Spike2

Let's not consider the strawman to be an evil thing in such a discussion. People here are suggesting that the reason immigrants dominate farm labor is because they don't speak English. It's not much of a stretch to ask "what if?" Have you ever listened to, or read transcripts of Supreme Court proceedings, particularly when they involve sticky legal issues that nobody's been able to agree on, like the 2nd amendment? These proceedings are sometimes nothing BUT strawman arguments.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Largely LEGAL migrant workers whose work conditions are under the purview of the Department of Labor and federal regulations.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Of course not. This allows to make up all sorts of impossible scenarios that fit whatever our preconceived notions are. I will say that you are right, and admit that immigrants will no longer pick vegetables if you will admit that the wages associated with it will go up to where American kids will want to do the work. Both are at least as likel.

Hardly. They are always based on what the law says, what the Congressional debate included, writings of learned scholars, etc.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I wonder if people who don't like illegals really differentiate between legal and illegal, and view the entire group as "them damned immigrants".

Reply to
Doug Kanter