New Roof Question

How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am curious as to how many squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

Thanks

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Tom wrote: How do you figure the sq. footage of a hip roof, I am curious as to how many squares will be needed to re-roof my house?

The area of a triangle is 1/2 of the base times the height. Add maybe

5-7% for waste? Tom
Reply to
tom

Is there some reason you can't go up on the roof with a tape measure?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I guess I could get out the blue prints from when the house was built.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Can usually be done from the ground--count the number of rafters along the gutter line, these are typically set onto 16in centers.

To get your height, count how many courses of shingles there are going up to the peak, asphalt shingles are generally nailed with a 5in tab exposure.

Area of triangle is 1/2 base X height, as has already been pointed out.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Yeah, but what about the area of a trapeziod for the long sides?

Reply to
Olaf

Do shingles need to settle on a new roof? In other words, new shingles were recently laid on a bare roof (old shingles stripped), and not all of them are laying flat. Its been fairly chilly in the North East and I am wondering if this is normal. I think the roofers did a good a job but other's in HOA are concerned about the cosmetics.

Thanks

Reply to
Sbyrne

situation normal. couple o days in the sun and they will lay flat

Reply to
I R Baboon

yep - not to worry - mine did.

Reply to
robson

I sort of figured as much but wanted some non-biased back up!!

Reply to
Sbyrne

Who is paying the bill? If the HOA, tell them it is normal and they will be OK. If it is you. tell them to get lost. This is why you should never move to a place with an HOA

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LOL!!! Where were you with that advice two years ago Edwin!! You are 100% correct. Live and learn.

Reply to
Sbyrne

or Melrose would not even look anything with it. HOA are getting allot of heat in CA the last couple of years. Most of the board Members no what's best for everybody.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Kill those people now, before there's an actual dispute to point the police at you. You KNOW they're going to be a problem, eventually.

--Eristic

Reply to
Goedjn

FTR, no new neighborhood can be built (since the 1970's or 80's) in Maryland, or maybe Central Maryland, but it might well be the whole state, that doesn't have an HOA. This includes both townhouse n'hoods and those with half-acre lots, and probably any size lot if one corporation divides a larger property.

The HOA doesn't have to collect fees or even ever meet, but it and its bylaws has to be there. I think this makes it a lot easier for discontented residents to do something, without for example going to court, which is expensive, and iiuc can have limited authority.

One of the rules of the HOA of a girl I used to know with a half-acre was that no garage could face the street. That way those who drove on the street wouldn't have to / get to look inside garages with open doors.

Another rule which I think has to be in every set of by-laws, or maybe the covenants, which now that I think about it the same law may have required, is that: If the owner doesn't repair his property, after a fire, and maybe less serious stuff (I'd have to check my docutments.), the HOA can repair it for him, put a lien on his property and eventually sell it to get the HOA's money back. The purpose of this is to prevent the creation of relative slums. That is, cheap n'hood might become real slums and expensive n'hoods would be degraded, property values driven down, lower income people move in, who don't have the money to hire say, gardeners, or the time to do it themselves, and the value of the n'hood greatly diminished. Ever since I saw an abandone, weed-grown shopping mall in a well-to-do area, I can actually imagine an expensive n'hood becoming a true slum, although I"m not saying it has ever gotten that bad, anywhere.

Despite the advantages, it does seem that no HOA can get along. I've heard many stories of places,, including mine, far worse than where Jerry Seinfeld's TV-show parents lived. Even though everyone has about the same amount of money, and really share the same interests in the n'hood.. Ego, ignorance, stupidity.

If one is going to move to an HOA that has expenses, be sure it is moderately easy to raise the dues. We use to take in much more than we needed, but as prices go up and our dues stay the same (one tiny increase in 26 years) we can't afford to do everything we should. We own our own streets, and although the last contractor who paved them had a good name, the job came out bad. The very secretive president probably dickered too hard on the price, and he cut corners. Some communal sidewalks have crumbled but instead of replacing a whole section, they do one piece here and other piece two away to save money.

And they're stupid. If a sidewalk cracks, even though it offers no risk of tripping to anyone, they think it has to be replaced. Because they lost one suit against one neighbor who did something wrong, they think they have lost their right to sue anyone. And someone suggested putting the HOA money in a socially responsible mutual fund. When a second person said that mutual funds weren't insured, a third member of the board insisted that they were. He was advised to call his fund and find out, but he was too stubborn to say if he ever did.

(They insured against theft by someone managing the fund, but not against the investments plummeting. It's also illegal for a non-profit organization, at least an HOA, to invest in mutual funds. They're not secure enough.)

mm