Idling laws in the US

Many states have laws about letting your car idle

Ed P

Leading to those stupid cars that shut off at stop lights. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but my life experience is a car that stop running while in a queue of traffic is not a Good Thing. When I hear it I automatically look for vital fluids leaking from the vehicle.

Reply to
rbowman

In Toronto, Canada, it is illegal to idle more than one minute in a

60-minute period; reefer trucks, school buses, ambulances, police vehicles, etc. that require power to run auxiliary equipment exempted. Basically it means the law applies only to private vehicles. Maybe you can get away with it by saying you need the heater function in very cold days, or the air conditioner function in very hot days.

invalid unparseable

Really? Glad I'm driving a 20-year-old beater.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I've been idle for the past 2 years and they haven't gotten me.

Oh, the car.

Reply to
micky

I had one of those 2 years ago as a rental. A citroen. I turned off that part, so it did not shut off. It had started up promptly, when I took my foot off the brake, I think, but still. Also, if you came up to a red light and it stopped the engine, but you took your foot off the brake to creep up a bit and then stopped again, it didn't stop the engine the second time. I thought that was good. But I still turned it all off.

And I turned off the lane warnings because so many of the lanes were so narrow, with a wall on one side, that I preferred to drive outside of the lane unless someone was coming or passing.

And I turned off another feature but that one I had to turn off every time I started the car. I forget what it was.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote on 2/25/2024 6:43 PM:

Collision avoidance?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Another stupid f****ng law. Driving with ice/snow obscured windows is a ticketable offense in Michigan. You really have to warm up a car for 15 minutes or so to clear the ice from the windshield before driving.

And I'll bet they idle Nancy Piglosi's jet to keep the cabin warm or cool as needed.

Reply to
Oscar

Don't remember.

Reply to
micky

I've only driven one car with ISG. It performed well enough but one trip is not enough to make a decision on them. This was an Audi A8, about $100k car.

Traffic lights here are often 90 seconds or more so I can see some benefit with emissions. They do have bigger starters, lubrication systems and other protections built in.

The system does not work until the engine is warmed up and battery is well charged. etc. There are work-arounds for many of them too.

Reply to
Ed P

micky wrote on 2/25/2024 7:04 PM:

Then it must be the electronic stability control.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That doesn't sound familiar.

Reply to
micky

Does everyone turn their engines off at stop lights? Toronto has almost three times as many people as this entire state so I assume sitting at traffic lights is a thing. Even here if I go into the downtown area I spend more than a minute an hour sitting and idling.

When did Canada stick its head so far up its ass? It used to be a pleasant place.

Reply to
rbowman

There aren't many around here which really makes them stand out. Some have a button to turn the feature off, but the EPA put pressure on the manufacturers so it reverts to on once the car restarts.

Reply to
rbowman

That's how stability and traction control works on my Toyota. Toyota finally had the epiphany that if you're stuck in snow a system that shuts down the spinning wheels means you're not going to rock your way out. They also realized that when you're driving on dirt roads 'stability control' can lead to being parked in the middle of the road if you slide the corners a little.

Reply to
rbowman

Mostly they apply that to NOT traffic condition. People like me. My granddaughter cannot drive so I often take her places. While waiting for her, I sit in the car with the AC on when it is 90 degrees outside.

Not a problem at home with car in the garage, but if my car is sitting in the sun while shopping, I'll remote start it so the AC get soing.

Reply to
Ed P

It bears stating Toronto isn't Canada and more importantly Canada isn't Toronto. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Really???

Reply to
Bob F

HOW DARE YOU ! You should go right out and buy a new electric car that you (I don't really know or care) can't afford with a complete suite of tracking/monitoring systems so we can monitor you 24/7 ! And while you're at it , get a new smart refrigerator and a ring doorbell . We'll be comparing the items you purchase at Walmart to what shows up in that fridge . Can't have you supplying food to unauthorized eaters . Actually , our main car is a 25 year old 4Runner . The newest on the place is a 2009 Sportster trike , the oldest is also a Harley - vintage

1939 . None of our vehicles have the means to track , though I'm suspicious of the smart phone ... And I'm shopping for a points ignition system for my '86 GMC pickup and the 1990 Harley . EMP's don't affect them .
Reply to
Snag

Traction control in my '86 GMC pickup will consist of an Eaton type posi locker . As soon as I have time and the weather warms up a little .

Reply to
Snag