Unwanted Laws - Part P

The new Government has asked for suggestions as to which laws it should repeal so as to clear up the previous Govt's love of law- making. How about Part-P? How about lost of people suggesting Part-P?
It came out of a piece of misguided law-making, driven by a particular MP's relation having been killed by electric shock arising from a faulty installation. But as we all no, the regs. won't stop the cowboys but will give grief to competent DiY ers. Naffer

I was ahead of you as soon as the idea of a cancelling bill was mooted and already sent this in as a suggestion plus a copy to my MP. Hopefully a lot more people will do the same

Too true. Anyone else see 'Craig' on Rogue Traders last night. Absolutely unbelievable. He tried to install an exterior 'porch' light by changing an existing interior light switch into a double, and simply connecting the new light into the new switch (no extension of lighting ring to power it). And he twinned a kitchen socket, leaving the earth disconnected - didn't have any proper test gear, so 'tested' it by plugging in a metal kettle and checking that it worked.
Loved it when Matt greeted him with the hand buzzer! :)
On 1 July, 22:34, "John Whitworth"

I may be dropping myself in it, but what's wrong with wiring the porch light into the house lighting circuit ? I did that exact same thing in my last house. (I know ideally it should be on its own circuit so some person shorting out the outside light cannot affect interior lighting, and it should have independent RCD protection.) Also, lighting doesn't use a ring, its usually radial. You don't have to use loop-in, nothing wrong with wiring a single light direct from the switch. Simon.

The point was that all he effectively had in the circuit was the switch (the extra pole - not the pole replacing existing interior switch) and the light. No connection to the mains via a ring or radial (and yes, you're totally correct - lighting is radial - just a slip of the fingers there!)
On 1 July, 23:40, "John Whitworth"

Oh I see what you mean. What a plonker ! Simon.

And of course, I actually meant 'gang' not 'pole'. D'oh.
Still, the guy on Rogue Traders called the light switch a plug! :-)
John Whitworth wrote:

Ah. I see.
I couldn't figure out the problem.
Yaesr ago som,e bloke I worked with asked me to look at his cortina Battery kep t going flat 'ever since I fitted the new horn'
Well I looked, and the had the horn push in series with a relay going to the horn. The relay coil was wired across the unswitched battery, so it was always on..draining e battery.
He hadn't a clue "I just swapped wires till it worked"
:-)

Part P is necessary.
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Doctor Drivel"
And with that one post... that single line... that brief sentence, you utterly discredit yourself. Not that you had any to start with.
On 02/07/2010 01:34, Doctor Drivel wrote:

For what exactly?
It has failed to achieve its stated purpose - in fact fatalities have risen since its introduction (as predicted by many of us here).
Its failed in it real but unstated purpose (to make a section of the black economy traceable).
Its put a responsibility onto LA BC departments that they don't want, and are ill equipped to support.
Its wasted loads of money for householders, and increased paper work at many stages of running a project or selling a house.
Most consumers have never heard of it.
Most cowboys have not heard of it or ignore it.
Those that don't ignore it frequently do backhander cash deals to get the paperwork sorted (even if not the job)
Most DIYers have never heard of it and ignore it, and of those DIYers who have heard of it, I have never met one who has taken any notice of it (unless its part of a larger job)
All in all its hard to think of a more pointless exercise.
--
Cheers,

John.

And increased the value of pre-harmonised colour coded cable.
On 02/07/2010 06:11, 1501 wrote:

Indeed, although I have never understood why, since old colours were still allowable after part P and new colours were allowable before it! Hence the colours don't make any definitive statement about when a job was done.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Quite - although the year of manufacture now marked on the sheath of most T&E might give you away.
And will the easements that might be coming with Amendment 1 to the 17th ed. create a market in future-dated cable :-)
--
Andy

On 02/07/2010 10:59, Andy Wade wrote:

;-) I suppose that is a reversal of the usual problem of "not to current standards". Will their be a classification for it was wrong when conceived and installed, but ok now?
--
Cheers,

John.

Like HIPs it should be tightened up not abandoned.
wibbled on Friday 02 July 2010 09:28

The same could be said about your straitjacket!
--
Tim Watts

Come on Tim - what better reccomendation to abandon part P than for it to be a good thing in drivels eyes?

My jacket well cut not straight. I have style. How is Little Middle England
wibbled on Friday 02 July 2010 19:38

Very nice. Went to a Police Station where they didn't have armoured glass and the bloke was helpful. Passed a copper smiling in the street (and he hadn't just done someone). Flowers everywhere.
How's Bethlem?
--
Tim Watts