An opportunity the ditch the cursed Part P?

You may recall that, a couple of years ago, the BBC Radio 4 Today programme invited listeners to suggest a new law which they would like to see enacted.

This year, the BBC is inviting nominations for *existing* laws to be

*repealed* See
have already nominated Part P as my contribution - and invite all like-minded D-I-Y-ers to do the same. It probably won't win but, if enough people nominate it, it should at least get on the short list and provoke a public debate about this totally unnecessary and counter-productive piece of 'nanny state' legislation.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Good idea. I'll do it. Thanks,

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Whatever the merits this has no chance whatsover of happening. Simply a BBC excuse for filling the program during a quiet time of the year.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Don't be so defeatist - give it a whirl! All publicity is good publicity - even if the results are not immediate.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I fear pointless, but done.

HLAH

Agreed. Short of legalising dismissal of jobsworths without compensation, it would be worth a vote.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I am never defeatist just a realist! You can't win them all.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 13:06:50 -0000 someone who may be "Peter Crosland" wrote this:-

That is not a reason for not trying though.

Reply to
David Hansen

Of course not. But you need to be able to spot losers as well as winners. This one will not get out of the starting gate.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Yes, but the Tories are even more desperate for stocking fillers than the Beeb.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Done !

Reply to
Staffbull

Thanks for the tip!

I have duly voted for Part P and hope that many others will be motivated by your post and their annoyance over this very poor piece of legislation to do the same.

As you say, it probably won't win but if enough people vote at least it will keep it in the limelight and I'm sure that the media would then be interested in investigating further.

"DOWN WITH PART P"

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes but, you are not trying to be a winner only to voice your opinion on whether a law is needed or not.

Your attitude is typical of why this country has ended up this way. Roll over and give up.

Bad law needs to be changed.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve

As my daughter' school says, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. The only reason for not trying would be if there were a downside (for example possibly knocking out a more needy entry). Since we don't know what the entries will be, we can't judge that one.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D.Smith

What is this "nanny" you are on about?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In principle Part P is good thing. No joined up thinking in implementation. What it needs is little rethink. There must be professional testing of new installations and major works. The idea is keep away the cowboys, not DIYers. In that it is making an impact.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is encouraging the cowboys to do a bad job and then disappear without trace... leaving the hapless householder to pick up the pieces.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Or lie on the floor twitching.

HLAH

I expressed no opinion either way!

Not at all. But you have to be realistic and say that whilst many on this NG may well feel it is bad law the largew majority of the public probably don't even know the law even exists!

Of course it does but I suspect that there are plenty more bad laws that need changing before Part P.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

It was already illegal to do a shoddy job. How does making it very expensive get people to have a proper job done? All Part P does is get more people to employ the illegal bodgers as less people can afford the increased costs. The *legal* alternatives of four way trailing leads in the wet areas is not going to save lives is it?

Reply to
dennis