An opportunity the ditch the cursed Part P?

No. because it ensures safer homes. Maybe you should try and get the traffic laws taken away too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Will you please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have you read the statistics since it's been introduced?

Stick to talking about plant pots. It's what you do best.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will you please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So how do you explain this one?

Andy Hall

who don't know or care about regs. Long term = safer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

installations" and doesn't distinguish between them.

The most likely explanation is that people used unsafe lash-ups using extension leads etc., rather than doing proper installations, in order to avoid the hassle of complying with Part P.

Virtually everything Blair and his cohorts do have consequences which are the exact opposite of what was intended - but they are totally blind to it and in constant denial. The stupid thing is that the consequences (war in Iraq, plundering the pension funds, NHS targets, Part P, etc.) were entirely predictable but they can't/won't see it.

I just wish there was a viable alternative. Anyone fancy founding the uk.d-i-y party?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I wouldn't describe a threefold increase in fatalities following these regulations as "a snatch".

After all, you may remember that a closing motivation for all of this was the death of an MP's daughter....

Because of this, the lack of firms joining a competent persons scheme (only 30,000 out of an estimated 60,000 firms) and the lack of enforceability; the whole thing is a colossal failure - regulation for its own sake and not of benefit to the customer.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hi Andy

Had a look on Hansard for this - couldn't find it - could you possibly give me a link or the search terms. Not doubting you - but I'd be interested to see the original.

Ta

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Ignore my other post about the source - silly me it is of course cited in teh above link - doh!

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

It is there.

go to advanced search. Enter the keywords "drew" "fitzpatrick" "accidents" (quite appropriate really) into the "all words" selection, and it will come up.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I am registered for Part P. I dislike it. I don't earn anymore by being registered and it costs me a few hundred each year. (Registration fees, Recalibrating the tester) The better part of 1000 every 5 year for assessment. I don't do the electrical jobs any better because I'm registered.

AISI, it's only the bigger companies that stand to gain.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Unfortunately it isn't the top six, it's six selected by a panel of politicians.

"Our panel of politicians (across the spectrum) and legislation experts will sift your nominations to come up with a shortlist of six."

So no chance for Part P repeal!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Taylor

I'm not realistically expecting *anything* to be repealed as a direct result of the BBC exercise - but if it gets the subject in the public consciousness, something may eventually happen.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Submitted.

Reply to
<me9

You have been reading the Daily Mail, you brainwashed sycophant.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And doing something about Part P would be a lot less sensitive and a lot more achievable than some things likely to be on the list - I bet the churches will pop up trying to repeal most things passed since about

1950 and claiming "family values".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

reading this group? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will you please eff off as you are a total and utter plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Shouldn't you get a new record? That one seems to have stuck!

Reply to
Roger Mills