How do I block a waste pipe connection that is no longer required?

I've noticed that my external waste pipe going down the side of my house has a connector halfway down that must previously have had a pipe connected. However, this pipe is no longer there and instead I effectively have a 40mm hole in my waste pipe. This means that small amounts of water spill out whenever my upstairs toilet is flushed.

I've been to the big DIY shops and cannot find covers for these connections. Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong thing. The connection itself appears to be a push connection - does this limit my options? If covers are not available how do people recommend I close the hole.

Hopefully someone can offer some suggestions.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
nick

If it's a proper pipe boss you can definitely get blanking plugs to fit. I got one from Wickes in the section with all the black plastic soil pipes & guttering. Check it carefully before you buy as the first one I bought said 40mm on the packet but was actually 30mm when I git it home.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

What were you doing in Wickes? You're a traitor to your name.

Reply to
Richard Conway

On 12 Dec 2006 05:15:34 -0800 someone who may be snipped-for-privacy@smartweb.co.uk wrote this:-

Blanks are available that simply push into the connector.

Go to a plumber's merchant, explain what you want to do and they should sell you a blank for I suspect rather less than a pound.

Reply to
David Hansen

A rodding eye...

These fit into the connector and have a removeable cap.

Reply to
John Rumm

Still hanging plumbing on the 'outside' of homes in the UK????? That was not uncommon on 'old' houses back in the 1940s and 1950s; before I left! But these days?

Reply to
terry

On 12 Dec 2006 13:13:45 -0800 someone who may be "terry" wrote this:-

After a bad winter in the early 1960s, which involved lots of frozen pipes, outside pipes were banned for some time in new buildings. However, properly designed outside pipes will not freeze up because it is not cold enough for the relatively warm water to freeze during its short journey to the drain. As a result one may see outside plumbing on new houses.

Personally I don't like it for aesthetic reasons, but there is no engineering reason to avoid it.

Reply to
David Hansen

We have less space and warmer winters than western ex colonies. It also means that in the event of a malfunction the sludge isn't deposited inside our homes.

Reply to
<me9