Part P and house extensions

I am currently planning an extension to the house and whilst I will be gett ing a builder in to construct the shell I will be undertaking various other jobs myself.

One of the DIY jobs will be the electrical work which I understand would, i f undertaken in the existing house, be non-notifiable under Part P by virtu e of it only involving extending existing circuits and there being no new c ircuits, special locations etc.

However, given that the extension construction is itself subject to formal sign off from Building Control will this mean that the electrical work with in it also be subject to this formality? If so, what options do I have (oth er than getting an electrician who can self-certify in) to achieve this?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

By the above I meant getting an electrician who can self-certify in *to do the installation work*...

Reply to
Mathew Newton

There is always the 3rd party sign off that was allowed in the 17th edition 3rd amendment(?) that I think only NAPIT agreed to do.

Reply to
ARW

I think Building Control also do the electrical sign off these days.

Oh for the good old days when the electricity board would send an inspector.

Reply to
Old Codger

Some further, albeit cursory, searches makes me think I might actually be o kay - in Wiltshire Council's details of charges

wnloads/6553) it states:

Reply to
Mathew Newton

They've always been *able* to (as they have the last work on Building Control matters) - but most didn't want to as it was outside their comfort zone.

Reply to
Tim Watts

okay - in Wiltshire Council's details of charges

downloads/6553) it states:

y an electrician who is not a member of a Part P ?competent person ?s scheme? a charge of £291.67 + VAT will be made to r ecover the council?s costs in checking this element of the project.

'an electrician who is not a member of a Part P competent persons scheme', would not be subject to any additional costs. Similar wording is contained in their Building Regs Submission form

their own testing given it is arguably more involved than just observation and opinion as per the rest of their checks.

off just paying an electrician to wire up the few sockets that I'll be add ing.

Few diyers pay for the paper if they know what they're doing

Reply to
tabbypurr

..and that'd be the case for me normally. It's just that this time I have to involve BC for the extension (quite rightly IMHO) but I am worried that I won't get the completion certificate without the electrics being formally tested.

I might just change the design so that there's no electrical work whatsoever. The extension of the existing circuits could be done at a later date and, by virtue of them being non-notifiable, not require any sign off.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

I suspect some have gone that path.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The builder extended existing circuits, lighting and power, on my extension a few years ago. The building inspector was told this and there was no problem getting the completion certificate.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Certain building inspectors may not be so happy.

Even the offer of a free punch in the gob does not cheer then up.

Reply to
ARW

That's reassuring; thanks Peter.

To be honest it was always my plan to live with the new extension for a whi le before deciding on the final layout of the new room. This means that the majority of the electrics would likely be delayed anyway and so if I can g et the works signed off in that interim period I should be okay anyway.

That said, at what point is an extension considered 'complete' for sign-off purposes? Perhaps I'd need to get as far as plasterboarding (and possibly plastering?) given that such components form part of the thermal and fire e nvelope?

Reply to
Mathew Newton