Part P and replacements confusion

I have seen references to my questions in earlier posts and looking at the odpm site this is now even more confusing
The url on the odpm site I am looking at is
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id30907
There seems to me conflicting information.
My reading of the odpm site says
"
You do not need to tell your local authority's Building Control Department about:
repairs, replacements and maintenance work; or
a.. extra power points or lighting points or other alterations to existing circuits (except in a kitchen or bathroom, or outdoors)." There is also no requirement of a part P certified Peron required to do this work.
So basic questions are
Can I legally
Replace components for example
Light switch
Socket
Cooker
Shower
Outside light
Can i also add additional sockets or lighting points with out a certified personel.
If the answer is no where does this get stated on the odpm site ?
Thanks

Did you really expect any sense at all from a department headed by two chins?
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:21:35 +0000 (UTC), "John"

Only two?
--

.andy

Has anybody else noticed the similarity between:
1) Prescott; conical shaped head, baddie, teeth... 2) Preston[1]; conical shaped head, baddie, teeth...
[1] See "A Close Shave"

No.
Just do it.
Dave
dave stanton wrote:

TM

I'll tell you what I know.

Yes
Yes
Not sure

Not sure

Not sure

Yes, as long as they're being added to an existing circuit (ie you're not putting in a new circuit for them) and as long as these additional new lights, sockets aren't in a kitchen, bathroom or outside.

Not sure
Specific questions on what you can or can't do can be answered by your council's building control office, however I would take the advice given to you by the others here and just go ahead and do it.
--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:43:04 +0000, Dark Angel wrote:

Agreed.

Agreed.
Yes if its a replacement. By the book this probably has to mean the same model and manufacturer, arguably it would have to at least be the same type of appliance with the same intended use, location and power consumption.

As per cooker. Note that this means upgraded the power is now illegal but it won't stop those who need stopping. This year I was called to two sites where the 32A MCB kept tripping on a 44A shower. (Went for just over 4 minutes before tripping).

As per cooker and shower.

My advice is that credibility in the rule of law is fast being eroded from several directions. Firstly, do things right and legally when possible. It is now illegal to install an extra socket in a kitchen even if done by an experienced industrial electrician. It is now illegal to read out names of people in some public places. It is now illegal to go carol singing in some public places.
It's not that these things are necessarily highly desirable to do but some people wish to sing carols and some people wish to wire their own homes.
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:18:15 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:
<snip>

Agree 100% with Ed. I'll add:
and some people wish to replace their windows or a vented HW cylinder, which doesn't even carry the tenuous argument of safety that Part P tries to justify itself with (yes, I accept that some upstairs windows must serve as fire escapes and some window frames are part load bearing).
Ed: remember when you mentioned a few weeks ago that new vented HW cylinders had a commissioning sticker on them? Well, I made a point of looking when I was browsing in Bodgit Quick the other day. See what you meant. The tick boxes weren't exactly rocket science, especially as there was a pretty picture of how to connect it and max head data etc clearly displayed.
Mind you, I'd be damned if I sign one myself on a DIY install, as there was a rather open ended paragraph about making sure that all building regs were adhered to. These things may come back to haunt... What utter silliness.
Cheers
Tim
PS. I often wonder, given that the PR of China is slowly (very slowly, but it is) softening, and Britain is rapidly heading towards a Police State, how long it will be before the curves cross... Time this current lot were gone.
In a few years, you'll all be needing RFID chips in yer number plates (really, was on the DVLA website recently, trials happening now), your biometrics will be required to be logged with GOD (Great Orwellian Database) and, heaven help you if you're arrested, even without charge, your DNA gets sampled and held right now.
Hang on, someone's knocking on the door...

A friend of mine has a house that had a loft conversion well before he bought it. Common sense would say extend the upstairs ring or install a new one for the extension. The power to the three rooms up there was taken from behind one of the socket on the first floor, spurred. A whole raft of sockets were daisy changed together off one 2.5mm cable from behind one socket. Two 3 kW heater could have been off the one 2.5mm cable (under heat retaining insulation) and the main 32A mcb would not have tripped. the cable would just have heated up, maybe causing a fire. Part P is GOOD thing!!!! It will stop this sort of cowboy crap.
The sooner we go to the continental radial circuits instead of this ring mains crap the better. Ring mains are far more open to abuse.
On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 01:50:52 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

With respect, no it won't. Cowboys don;t care and DIYers who are clueless enough to do this are the sort of people who knock holes in load bearing walls and neither bother with lintels nor building control. ie pig ignorant and been ignoring building control since 1949.
What would help is a recognisable ID card showing membership of an approved electricians body (whether NAPIT, NICEIC etc) and the status of the bloke's qualifications, followed up with an awareness campaign. Worked for gas AFAICS.

I agree there. Rings are useful, but radials are harder to bodge.
Cheers
Tim

It will. The problems with gas boiler has dropped of sharply since Corgi. The consumer is aware that only Corgi can do gas work. The builder who would have fitted the boiler does not now, and justifies increases in cost to the client.

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:49:24 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"

I thought that you weren't a fan of CORGI.....
--

.andy

The principle is right but implementation is wrong. You may find hard to fathom.
On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 08:40:36 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"

So how would you change it?
--

.andy

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:49:24 +0000, Doctor Drivel wrote:

<snip>
That's a different matter. I said that I thought the CORGI thing had worked out quite well. Everyone's heard of CORGI, most people I know think it's a very good idea to make sure the gas fitter is CORGI registered before letting him/her loose. And technically, one needs to be CORGI to do work for hire or reward.
The only things wrong are:
a) CORGI is a monopoly;
b) TheY spout some absolution bollocks from time to time implying DIY gas is illegal (only a CORGI man can fit gas - they omit the "for hire or reward" conveniently). That puts them on a par with the NICEIC who also spout bollocks regularly but do serve some purpose in other respects. NICEIC of course would like to be a monopoly and seem to have convinced most LBA/insurance companies that they are, much to the disgust of NAPIT and others.
What I have proposed is take the good parts of CORGI - the public awareness, the "for hire or reward", the recognisable ID card and apply it to the 10 Part P schemes run by the 6 main electricans associations. One uniform card in a standard format, bearing qualifications and body membership details and a photo of the holder.
Run an ad campaign for a few years and granny Smith will know that the bloke with her CU in bits is actually registered with some good chance of being competent. Not hard, less overhead than Part P and leaves the DIYers alone.
Don't you think it's odd that I can mend a gas pipe all on my tod, yet I need a BNA to install a vented cylinder?
Cheers
Tim
Doctor Drivel wrote:

The latter option would be best... however under part P this would not be allowed.

Part P will have no effect on cowboys - almost by definition.
How could it?
They already ignore the requirement for correct design, instalation, and testing - and these things are important. Why do you suppose they are going to take any notice of a few extra layers of paperwork which are of little or no consequence in the first place? This is assuming they have even heard of part P!
If people start taking part P seriously, then more people will die as a result.

Discussed before and disproved.
> Ring mains are far more open to abuse.
Any circuit is open to abuse if not installed competently (something part P does *not* require - go figure)
--
Cheers,

John.

Part P has nothing to do with it. The loft conversion was done by a builder.

It will stop builders, who through ignorance thought they were doing no wrong.

Pat-n-Dave, you need your head testing.

Read again, "Ring mains are far 'more' open to abuse".
BTW, his kitchen had all the sockets daisy changed together too, and the under-worktop oven (1kW) was also plugged into this too. He has a major rewire in parts. The kitchen fitters and loft converters all did this, and they were not DIYers.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Huh? Builders have to comply with the building regs - including part P of said regs.

So the builders who are ignorant of building regs will suddenly take notice of yet another extension to the regs they are ignorant of?
You lack clarity of thought.

You need your circuits testing...

I assume you don't mean ring mains since consumers almost never come into contact with these.
I read it - I was disagreeing with you.
The most common circuit faults have more dangerous implications on radials than they do on ring circuits.

As they would be for pretty much any type of circuit.

Quite common - its only a small load (5A) - many ovens come with plugs fitted.

And?
--
Cheers,

John.