Shower probs

Went to try and help my elderly grandmother with her leaking shower th

other day. The hose has split - so that was an easy fix but when turned it one again the pump didnt start up and the flow was like dribble. She has an Aqualisa thermostatic mixer connected to a pump and usua hot water/cold water tanks. She lives on the ground floor of a bloc of flates and the pump is only a foot or so below the hot water tan and about 6 feet below the head of the shower. She told me then that for the last few years she has has to shake th shower head in her hand about 20 times before the pump kicked-in an the water flowed sensibly. When I did the same, sure enough the wate flowed and gave a nice shower flow. Why is this - is it a case of the valve being lime-scaled-up or is i something less sinsiter. When I told her a new valve would be c. £17 plus the re-tiling etc etc she was very worried (I will pay as sh doesn't have the cash - so now I;m worried)) plus the fact that th tiles were installed by the previous resident (approx 12 years ago) an there are no spares. The valve is fitted in the void in between the airing cupboard an bathroom (adjoining rooms) so I can not see what's going on. Can anyone suggest any remedial action or is it a case of ripping ou and starting again??

-- alexbartman

Reply to
alexbartman

The pump will have a flow switch which triggers when a small amount of gravity flow occurs, thus turning on the pump to boost the shower. For whatever reason, when the shower is first turned on, there isn't enough flow to trigger the switch - which is why shaking the head sometimes helps.

It's quite possible that the head itself is furred up and restricting the flow. What happens if you remove the head so that water just flows out of the end of the hose? If the pump then works ok, you need to de-scale the head. It's best if you can take it to bits, but if not, just soaking it in vinegar over night may help.

If all else fails, wire a momentary switch* in parallel with the flow switch. Open the shower valve and press this switch to start the pump. Once the boosted flow starts, the flow switch will take over.

  • If this additional switch is in the bathroom, it will need to be suitable for the location - such as a pull switch in the ceiling. [Can you get momentary pull switches?]
Reply to
Set Square

have checked the hose and head - its not them - so if it is the valv itself - is there any clever way to de-scale with it still in situ removal is going to be a very majopr headache.....and not sure I lik the idea of separate switches??

-- alexbartman

Reply to
alexbartman

I wouldn't like the idea of a switch you could leave on. But what I was suggesting was a momentary switch to get it going. This is only on for as long as you press/pull it. But once the pump starts, its own flow switch will keep it on until someone closes the mixer valve and physically stops the flow.

Reply to
Set Square