Shower leaking

Hope someone can help!

I have a recess shower cubicle, tiled on three sides, with just a frame and a door on the fourth. Underneath the door is a short gap (under a drip tray), then the frame - slanted back into the shower, also with a ridge that I assume is there to collect water. This must be designed to let water flow to the bottom in the middle of the frame, then into the shower, although the bottom of the frame is sealed both inside and out.

However, the outside has now started leaking through the sealant in a few spots. Ran some sealant across it, that fixed it for a few weeks, then it started again. Did it again, and noticed the sealant I'd put on crumbled/came away when I went to put a new layer on. Also tried removing the sealant from the inside-side, but that proved to be stuck fast and I was reluctant, since I wasn't sure if I should.

Anyway, the new layer fixed it for a couple more weeks, but now it's happened again - just put new sealant on, but the old stuff just crumbled as I rubbed it. I'm not sure this is the way to go.

Anyone have any ideas? It's not flooding out, just a few spots appearing after I finish showering - I think it used to be much worse before I fixed it the first time, as the wall to one side had all crumbled away, and the floor underneath the flooring was soaked. Any help appreciated!

Reply to
ChewingGum

Is it possible there is movement of the surfaces which hold the sealant? That is the usual reason for sealant failing. If so, it would be worth trying clear acrylic sanitary sealant preferably combined with reduction/elimination of any movement if this is the culprit and is possible.

Reply to
DIY

I don't know what this is made of and while I agree that the title sounds right, unless it's a silicone sealant it may not work. I think a silicone one would.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham