Prehung door doesn't close properly

We had a handy man install a prehung door for us. He had to cut some of the frame, and used shims all over. The door hits near the latch and closer to the bottom. The door has had foam sealant put in between the frame and brick wall, and been caulked. How can I get this thing fixed properly?

Reply to
skyguy

When you say it hits, do you mean it is too tight? Chances are the foam sealant expanded and pushed in the frame. You'd have to cut out some of the insulation. It may be possible to plane the door.

It would help if you posted a photo for better understanding.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why did he have to cut the frame?

Since foam sealant was used, I assume an exterior door?

If the door hits the frame at those two points you stated, the foam may have pushed it out. You can remove the trim to expose the foam, cut some of it away and nail or screw the frame to the stud to pull it in. I prefer a screw since you can slowly increase pull to ensure a straighter frame. Use a long level or yardstick on edge against the frame/door jamb to view the bow/bulge decrease as you screw it in.

Reply to
Meanie

Did you let this guy walk away, paid, after screwing up the installation? Call him back and tell him to fix it.

What part of the "frame" did he cut? Here's a picture of door and a rough opening. "Framing" is not a specific term, so what exactly did he cut and why?

DerbyDad03

Was the clown you hired wearing an ankle bracelet? Are you ready to hire someone that knows what the f.u.c.k they're doing?

Reply to
Jack Legg

And was it hitting before he left? Not sure I buy the expanding foam thing, seems to me that stuff could find places to expand to other than pushing in the door trim. But if that's the cause, I would think it would be done expanding before he left, but maybe not.

Of course there is also the possibility that the poster realizes they hired a nitwit and that they just wanted him out of there, because he'd likely continue to screw up.

And poster said he used shims all over. IDK exactly what that means, but it's normal to have to shim it in various spots.

Good question. For all we know he could mean the frame of the new door.....

Reply to
trader_4

and you NEVER use high expansion foam for windows or doors . There is a special foam made for the job that will NOT warp the frames. Gotta remember when you go for cheap labour you seldom get what you paid for

- - - -.

Reply to
clare