Snowblower Idle Problem

Have a 5HP Areins snowblower that will stall if the throttle is set in the Idle position. The only adjustment is the screw at the bottom of the (fuel/carburetor) bowl. Have tried various settings but none will eliminate the Idle stall. Finally, just adjusted the screw for the optimum high speed setting. Manual has no instructions for adjusting engine speed other than letting an authorized service man do it. Anyone know of a way to resolve the Idle speed problem? MLD

Reply to
MLD

Will it idle OK if the lever is set just a bit above its "idle position"?

If so, the problem might just be that when the throttle lever is set to the idle position it moves so far that it closes an ignition "kill switch".

I had just that problem with a B&S vertical shaft engine on my lawnmower this year. I cured it by repositioning the end of the flexible throttle cable's jacket in it's clamp near the carb so that when the lever was set at "idle" that kill switch was still open.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Good comments, thanks. It does run OK at some point above the Idle setting but unfortunately, at Idle the engine bumbles, rumbles, shakes and stumbles before it finally gives up. Not the same as a clean shut down" because of the "kill switch" or "key off". I'm beginning to think it needs a carburetor cleaning, after all, I've had since 1977. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Sounds like the idle jet is plugged. You may need to disassemble carb and blow out all passages.

Reply to
Tom

I've worked on some Briggs, and some Tecumseh. Not sure which yours has.

My suggestion. Remove the air cleaner to get more room to see. On top of the carb, there is a somewhat triangular metal plate, that hooks to the throttle. And typically has a stif metal rod that goes to the governor, and to the spring that pulls the throttle open. This throttle plate should have a small slotted screw, which sets the lowest speed for the throttle. Idle speed, they call it. Give that small screw 180 degree turn clockwise, and see if that helps.

While you have the machine this far apart, consider removing the carb, and replacing the gasket between the carb and the engine. Two nuts, and then the carb should come off easy enough. Those gaskets are known to go bad. If the gasket comes out easy, give it a very light coat of Permatex #2b non hardening gasket sealer, and put it back in. Sometimes air gets in past the carb.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless the OP has the mower or tiller attachments for his Ariens Snowthrower, it does not now have, nor never has had, an air cleaner.

To the OP, there is another carburetor adjustment on the SIDE of the carburetor (two actually) and one on the speed control. The screw just above the edge of the bowl is the idle mixture screw and the one at the top of the carb is the idle speed screw. The screw on the speed control is the top governed speed. The idle mixture screw on an HS50 (HSSK50) or an H50 (older heavier engine never marked SK) should be between 1 and

1.5 revoluti> I've worked on some Briggs, and some Tecumseh. Not sure which yours has. >
Reply to
Husky