An example of how guns used in mass shootings are bought in states with lax laws

An example of how criminals acquire guns in states with lax laws. Two of the five guns that the Jersey City shooters had were bought in Ohio. David Anderson had a long history of arrests for violence and weapons. That's why he didn't apply for a permit to buy guns in NJ. No reports yet on where the other 3 weapons came from. Again, if we had a uniform permit process across the US that included the local PD doing a real background check, it's likely he would not have been able to buy those guns. Might they still have obtained them somehow? Sure, but why make it easy for criminals?

Reply to
trader_4

Since this guy had all of that criminal history, he couldn't buy the guns in Ohio legally either. You still have not said how he got them. This guy would have lit up like a christmas tree on the instant check. Maybe you should be asking, why New Jersey gave him all of the slaps on the wrist since he was a repeat offender with 3 gun convictions in New Jersey, a drug conviction and a domestic violence conviction in Ohio where he was extradited back to New Jersey for a parole violation (I am sure he didn't bring the guns with him then) and New Jersey saw fit to lock him up for 4 months. This is a criminal problem, not a gun problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

Could be very simple. His partner in crime, his girlfriend, could have bought them for him. I haven't heard that she had any felony past. And that's why an actual real background check by the local police could have turned up that she was living with an arch criminal and then PERMIT DENIED.

Reply to
trader_4

You assume

  1. his girlfriend bought the guns (a wild assed guess)
  2. the background check is that thorough, which I doubt.
  3. he actually was on record, living with her (unlikely)
  4. the guns were bought legally in the first place

You also have not told me how New Jersey stops such a straw purchase. If Dave has cocaine loving girlfriend out in Leave it to Beaver land, there is nothing stopping her from buying a gun and trading it too him for a few grams of blow. My bet is all they know was that the guns were delivered to an Ohio dealer from the manufacturer and it is a black hole from there. It is unlikely that they have a clue how many legal and illegal sales they went through since then.

Reply to
gfretwell

We probably won't know, because that kind of detail rarely comes out, which is another problem. It should. I don't disagree that if the GF bought them, it's very possible she would have passed a reasonable background check anyway, for the reasons you cite. But when people get massacred I want to know that we took reasonable, logical steps to prevent people who should not have guns from buying them. And right now, most states are nowhere near that, like FL, per the Cruz example.

The above is like the other shooting we were talking about, think it was TX? Where the ATF searched some guy's house, made it sound like he was building guns illegally, that one was used by the shooter. After that, never heard anymore, as to what happened, if he really was building guns illegally, etc. That's another problem, the present law is vague as to who has to get a FFL to sell guns and who does not. It should be clearly spelled out. It says something to the effect that if you're in the business, make your livelihood, from selling guns, you need to register. That TX guy could be selling 25 guns a year and claiming that it's just a hobby, that he's not making any real money from it, etc. I would not be surprised that's why they haven't proceeded.

Reply to
trader_4

If he makes and sells one gun, in his whole life, he needs a manufacturer's license. You are only allowed to make a gun you use yourself. I assume that was the basis for the raid on this guy's house. I am sure if they could actually trace the gun in question back to that guy we would have heard about it. In fact I have never even heard he used a home made gun.

Reply to
gfretwell