3-in-1 oil in an electric motor

With today being very cold and the furnace about to run a lot, I realized that the electric motor that runs the burner in my oil furnace hadn't been oiled in a year. I remember in years past having asked the furnace-maintenance guy if it was okay to use 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil in the burner's oil cup. He'd said it was okay. So that's what I put in, about 8 drops. (The can must be 10 years old so any volatile ingredients might have evaporated.)

Then I did some online research and have read that is not okay to use that. So I went to Lowes and got 3-in-1 Motor Oil SAE 20. Can I put that in to flush out the Household oil with the penetrant that's in the Household oil? Is this a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause damage somehow?

Reply to
Ed

I'd go ahead and add the SAE 20. I can't think of how too much could do any harm except that it could find it's way to the vanes of the blower and that would make it a dust magnet. So wait until spring and remove and clean the whole blower, it's probably long overdue anyway.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Oil cup on a furnace? I haven't seen one of those in decades. If it's as old as I think it is I'd forget about what kind of oil to use and start looking at how much a new one will save in heating costs, payback time, etc.

Reply to
trader4

People have been using 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil on motors for decades. I doubt anything evaporated as long as the cap was on the can. The idea is to lube the motor bearings and that's what you did. Dont worry about it.....

Personally, I think 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil is an expensive way to oil things. Buy a pump oiler can, get a quart of non-detergent straight weight SAE 20 oil, and use that in the future.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and add 3 or 4 drops of your new product. You dont want to flood the motor and get it all over the windings, but SAE 20 is heavier, and a few more drops wont hurt. I do personally feel that a heavier oil is better suited to large motors and stays on the bearings better. That thin 3-in-1 Multipurpose Household oil is more suited to sewing machines and tiny motors.

Reply to
jw

Many years ago, I'd have agreed with you. Seems like everything today is electronic or has sealed bearings. I cannot think of a single thing that I've oiled in years. I have a little can of some kind of multi-purpose oil and I bet it is 30 years old.

I have a spray can of Big 90 that I've had for many years and I've used it on a hinge or two. Last pump oil can I bought was 45 years ago and I have no idea where it disappeared to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The problem with three in one is that it dries up, and gets sticky. I've had that happen on fans. Yes, I'd try a couple drops of ND-20 or ND-30. Won't flush the three in one out, but might help.

About 1990 or so, long before I got my start in the HVAC trade. The blower on my furnace started howling. It was bedtime, and I didn't think I wanted to call HVAC tech, figured it would be expensive. Found the oil ports for the motor, and forced in some oil that I had. I think I used 10w30, which is the wrong stuff. But, it got me by for a while. Now, I've got the "right oil" available.

.

Then I did some online research and have read that is not okay to use that. So I went to Lowes and got 3-in-1 Motor Oil SAE 20. Can I put that in to flush out the Household oil with the penetrant that's in the Household oil? Is this a big problem, or am I worried for nothing?

Is it possible to put too much oil into that hole for the oil cup and cause damage somehow?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

i seriously doubt any oil used really matters in a motor thats old enough to need oiling.......

i have used 10 w 30 om some machine motors in the past none ever failed, with or without oiling........

old stuff was designed so well much didnt matter

now stuff is designed so cheap it cant even be oiled......

Reply to
bob haller

I have drilled a few end caps to allow a telespout oiler to relube the pads. Oreilly auto did stock 20wND oil.

Reply to
Mr.E

I do belive the older motors did need oiling. At least, the ones I've worked on did. Drilling your own oil holes is (I think) a good idea. If you don't get metal chips in there.

Farm supply places, they might have grease gun tips with a syring needle. So you can inject some grease into CV joints. Or, on the farm, the permanant lube joints on farm equipment. That are not made to be greasable, but totally expensive and labor consuming to replace.

.

I have drilled a few end caps to allow a telespout oiler to relube the pads. Oreilly auto did stock 20wND oil.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As a farmer, I am constantly oiling and greasing stuff. Lots of larger motors on farm machinery need to be oiled. "Sealed bearings" is just another way to say "disposible motor". When the bearings seize up, you toss the motor, spend a couple hundred bucks for a new one and more if you need an installerm V/S spending 5 minutes and 5 cents worth of oil every year. I have machinery motors that date back to the 1950's and 60's that still work fine, but I need to oil then yearly. But we live in a disposible society and most people would rather help fill up a garbage dump and spend a large sum of money every 5 years, than spend any time oiling a motor. For me, when I had a furnace that needed oil on motors (and most forced air blower bearings still require oil),, I just did it in fall when I changed the furnace filter the first time before winter. At the same time I would oil every other motor, door hinges and whatever needed it in the house. A half hour of time at most was needed to do all that stuff. A pump oiler can is always available.

Reply to
jw

Um, where are the grease fittings located on your average cow? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

They get "Bag Balm" grease on their teats.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

You sound like an old man who has gained a lot of wisdom. What kind of oil do you use? ND30, or what?

.

[...]

Shoulders, knees, other rotating joints. Silly!

.

Um, where are the grease fittings located on your average cow? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Helps em slide from stall to pasture? Makes em moooove easier?

Keep em from watching TV, or they will go liberal, and joine MOOOVE on dot org. You know how cows love Obamoooooo.

.

They get "Bag Balm" grease on their teats.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just below the tail - but the grease comes OUT.

Reply to
clare

Non Detergent is really not a "requirement" - don't think a normal ball or sleeve bearing cares one way or the other.

Same for multigrade - a straight grade oil MAY stand up a bit better - but I doubt the difference would be noticeable, personally.

Reply to
clare

Personally, I just use the white multi-hydraulic fluid that I also use in the gearbox of my Myford

Reply to
clare

wrote

Sounds to me like your dipstick has fallen out of the filler tube, and it's coming out the overflow.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You've obviosly never been "greased" by a cow.

Reply to
clare