replaced dryer belt and drum still won't turn

I have a GE Hotpoint dryer nvlr223egoww that stopped turning and, upon disassembly, I discovered that the belt snapped. I'm having a heck of a time getting the drum to rotate again. I've tried two different belts, which are supposed to fit the model, but one was way too large and the other is actually a bit shorter than the original one and still there's too much slack. Any ideas as to what to check next would be welcome. Thanks.

Reply to
KC JONES

  Is the belt looped correctly around the spring loaded tensioner ? Some appliance parts websites might have the diagram for the correct routing ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

No it wasn't. I always get confused be the way the belts are put in place. Once I got the threading right, the only other issue was that the tensioner was caught on a metal part sticking out from the motor. Once I disassembled again to release that, all went well. It was not easy. I really only had access from the top and front. I wish I could have removed a side, but was unable to. I really had to push with my arm and hand through the small space and at the same time loop the belt around the tensioner. However, done. I also looked over the dryer while there. It looks fairly simple and I'm hoping if anything ever goes wrong, maybe I'll be able to repair it.

Reply to
KC JONES

Glad I could help . Dryers aren't that complicated , and there's just not much that can go wrong . I didn't look your dryer up , but many of them have a front panel that is held on by 2 bolts/screws at the top and a tab/slot at the bottom . Once the front is off the drum can be removed for repair and parts replacement .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I recently, very reluctantly, replaced my 25-30 year old Inglis <propane> when the " air-flow grill " corroded away and started snagging at clothes. I found it difficult and expensive to get a new replacement ; used units that were still OK were scarce ... I did consider a DIY remedy of installing some sort of stainless grill over top of the old one. But my final decision was based on the Murphy's Law aspect - as soon as I made this repair

- something else would fail ... The Inglis had 1 repair in the 25 years I owned it. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I had replaced the timer twice, the drum rollers 3 times, The belt twice, the heating element once (after repairing it at least once) and the motor once before throwing it away and buying a new washer/drier pair). It was an inglis too - about 30 years and 2 kids in cloth diapers.

When the washer got to the point it wasn't repairable we got rif of both.

Reply to
Clare Snyder