Sears Kenmore Dryer Drum didn't spin

I just put my wash in the dryer (Sears Model 110.64212200 built by Whirlpool), cleaned the filter, set the timer, and pressed Start.

I heard the motor start, but something didn't sound right, it was too smooth. I opened the door, and sure enough, the drum wasn't spinning. (Normally you can see clothes still moving for a second after the door opens). There was a "hot" smell, but hopefully that was the heater element, not a belt. Hmmm. Thinking perhaps I overfilled the dryer, I emptied everything out and tried again. Same result.

Fearing the worst, I moved the drum slightly by hand, then tried again. This time the drum spun. I reloaded the machine and it happily dried my clothes.

So what would cause this to happen? What should I do to prevent it from happening in the future? The dryer has been relatively trouble free in its 3.5 years of life.

Thanks!

Reply to
Jeff Taylor

The belt has worn to the point where it slips under load. Belts are cheap and relatively easy to replace. Do so soon before it breaks...

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Also check the rollers. My drum stopped spinning, it turned out the bolts holding the rollers in place had loosened, and the rollers weren't in place anymore.

mrsgator88

There is a FSP kit to do the belt, idler wheels, & the tensioner/pulley. Take your model # to any appliance parts store & they will set you right up. Takes 15-20 minutes to do the job.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

The dryer belt was proably 1/3 off the drum pulley giving enough slack for the motor pulley to turn. When you turned the drum by hand the belt may have caught and ran itself back onto the motor pulley. Or there's a worn spot on the belt already.

- The tension of the belt requires adjustment.

- The belt may need to be replaced.

- The motor may have made a small wear mark (groove) in the belt meaning that it didn't have and will not have the same friction when it stops at that particular spot - turning the drum by hand will probably make it catch and the momentum will give it running.

If you don't have time to open the rear and investigate I strongly advise not leaving your dryer running without you close by.

Regards, PK

Reply to
PK

A perfect example of magic coming to the rescue!

Alan

==

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Alan Moorman