Kenmore Dryer will not stop running

My Kenmore electric dryer (model # 110.86582110, don't kow the age) will not stop running. In timed mode and in auto-dry mode ("more dry . . . less dry"), the dial does not advance at all and the dryer continues to run and continues to heat, sometimes overnight and long past when the clothes are bone dry. The dryer stops when the door is opened and restarts when "push to start" is pressed".

After reviewing some posts in this and other groups, I checked the voltage across the terminals to the timer motor and got a reading of zero. I then disconnected the leads to the timer motor and applied 120 V and found that the timer did advance in timed mode.

Concluding that the timer assembly was defective, I purchased and installed a new $87 timer. This did not solve the problem - the dial still does not advance in either timed or auto-dry modes.

Where did I go wrong? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
Tom

But this tells you that the timer is probably OK.!

if you advance the timer switch manually, does the dryer shut off? if so the wires from the timer to the motor is probably OK.

find out why you're not getting voltage to the timer. An interlock switch perhaps? There's usually a schematic of the wiring some where on the dryer.

lee h

Reply to
lee houston

Yes, the buzzer sounds and the dryer shuts off.

The schematic is on the back of the dryer. I will get some local assistance with that from someone better at reading those and/or try to post a link to a photo of it. Thanks.

Reply to
Tom

You seem competent in theory and use of your meter. Look at the electrical diagram in the timed cycle, and see how the timer motor cirucuit is completed. There may be a broken component that is leading to your problem. Some timer motor circuits actually go through the element or a thermostat.

Reply to
nospamtodd

Thanks again for the input. I posted two .jpgs here:

shows the wiring diagram. The other shows the timer, and mounted next to it, a device that may be the "electronic control" referenced in the diagram, but I'm not certain about that.

Any suggestions on things to check would be appreciated.

Also, in case my problem might be due to physical damage to wires that run down behind the drum, I should mention that I recently replaced the rear seal and rollers after one roller failed and the rear edge of the drum dropped down about a half inch and actually ground a groove all the way through the rear wall of the drying chamber. (Tenants were using it at the time.) That may have damaged wires so I may need to go back in there and have a look.

Reply to
Tom

The plot thickens. what was the timing? when did the 'doesn't stop' problem begin relative to the seal/roller repair?

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Unfortunately I don't know about that. Soon after completing the roller and seal replacement, I noticed the problem with the dryer not stopping, and initially assumed I had knocked a wire loose while making that repair. It then occured to me to ask my wife and she said that the not stopping problem already existed. So, both problems originated while tenants were using the machine and I don't know which developed first.

Reply to
Tom

Paraphrasing the original poster: My lamp was not lighting. I checked, there was no power in the socket. I tried the lamp with known 110 volts, and the lamp lit.

So, I went out and bought another lamp.

I think the OP (who replaced the timer) was so ignorant that it should ougth have been painful. When I get through with OP, I'll ask if you really meant to call the OP competent.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your troubleshooting logic is defective.

"I applied power and it worked, so I replaced it". Using that same logic, you should replace your computer, television, lamps, electric can opener, and the list grows longer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It seems the problem was the electronic controller identified in the diagram and shown next to the timer in the photo. A newsgroup reader emailed me suggesting that. Upon inspecting it I noticed a broken connection on the board that I re-soldered. Now the timer advances in both timed and auto modes. Many thanks for the help.

Reply to
Tom