Do I need a larger portable generator for power outages?

  1. I have a portable ~5KW DuroMax XP5500EH generator.
  2. It runs the home during power outages
  3. But it trips its own 30Amp circuit breaker on the water pressure booster pump subcircuit due to the surge inrush current I guess.

I can run everything else that I want to run (refrigerator, lights, microwave, even a 1500 watt portable space heater) with that generator.

What confuses me is the inrush sink would happen, it seems to me, no matter how large the generator is, right? Or not right?

When I flip on the main panel circuit for the booster pump during an outage while the house is otherwise being powered by the portable generator, the ~5KW portable generator bogs down momentarily, and then. suddenly the quick-blow 30-amp circuit breaker on the generator trips.

I'm confused whether or not a larger generator would solve this problem of the booster pump surge inrush current tripping the generator's breakers.

Would it? Maybe not?

The "Maybe Not" part is that the portable generator is tripping on "too much current", which is an indication that it's supplying more than the

30 amps that cause the breaker on its own panel to trip, right?

Or would a larger portable generator solve the surge current trip issue?

Reply to
Nick Cine

I don't know much about this but I thought a slo-blow breaker was used in situations like this. Why not here?

Reply to
micky

You didn't mention the size of the booster pump motor. There are charts online showing starting and running amperage requirements for them. Starting current is much higher than running current. Starting current is similar to locked rotor current. A larger generator would probably help but everyone is guessing without the booster pump motor size. It's at least possible that the breaker is at fault. It's tripping at too low a current draw.

Reply to
Dean

The starting current of an ordinary induction motor is about 6x the full load running current.

Numbers would be nice - pump running current? 120? 240V?

As someone asked - if everything else is off will the pump start?

I thought some generators had starting current ratings.

Reply to
bud--

I do not know about the inverter generators but the ones I have, not inverter, do have a surge current rating. Many of the generators have in big letters the surge current and smaller letters the normal maximum current. Such as a 5000 watt continues generator may state 5800 watts surge.

The dual and tri fuel generators usually have less output when used on propane and natural gas instead of gasoline. The fuel will not produce as much horsepower to turn the generator as gasoline.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Last month we were thinking whole house generator after 2 cold days without power. My portable generator could handle our oil furnace but not my new heat pump.

We decided against it as we do not have natural gas service and found whole house generator might use 2-4 gal. propane per hour. My wife did not want a big tank in the back yard. I read it cost about $90/day to run. My brother that has one also pays about $250/yr for maintenance contract. He has had it almost a year and is yet to use it. It comes on for test once a week and SIL said they even come around to top off propane.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 19:09:46 -0500, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Don't you have an extension cord?

Reply to
Hiram T Schwantz

Not applicable to a propane unit,