bandsaw coming from in-laws

It was a garage sale find. Only fact I know for sure (maybe) is that it is a 14 inch. My wife talked to my mother-in-law and the inlaws are away on vacation. I will pick up this weekend if I can get into the garage.

Probably junk, but they are good to me, so I will grin and bear it for a while. Who knows, might be a real find, it happens sometimes (but usually not me!)

Besides, starting with a crappy BS is probably a good idea in the way that my first and only metal lathe (also crappy) was a good idea the day I tossed the chuck and took a chunk out of the ways. Hopefully I won't repeat that mistake if and when I get a real lathe.

Yours

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Mau

Hey - if it is still sight unseen don't condemn it. There are a lot of good tools sold in garage and estate sales because of death, illness or financial worries.

Perspective: Several years ago a cousin's neighbor asked him if he would be interested in buying any power tools. The neighbor's commercial cabinet shop was getting ready to sell some depreciated, but lightly used, equipment. One of them was a VERY lightly used 5HP Powermatic cabinet saw still sitting on the shipping pallet - $400!. He also picked up a very clean Powermatic stationary disk sander for $100.

Don't throw rocks until you see your target.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Reply to
Rob Mills

Are there any _bad_ 14" bandsaws ? Anything below this is unlikely to be useful, and you certainly could make a bad 14", but I've not seen one that wasn't at least usable.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Here is the follow up. Got the saw. It is a 3 wheel Asian no name model circa 1985. One of the wheels needs a new rubber (Is that the right word?). I am not inclined to try and source the part. Fortunately she didn't pay much.

It is a 3 speed model and will cut metal at the lowest speed. Might be reasonable for cutting sheet stock.

She is such a sweet lady. I have size 15 feet (narrow!) and she often goes to the trouble of buying me shoes for my Birthday and such. She often finds footwear that fits me better than the stuff I manage to find.

Sorry, no gloat to report this time.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Mau

Naw, it's still a gloat. Perhaps a friend gloat (insert your favorite size 15 joke here). I'm sure the dp is usable. Try Suffolk for new tires. Have a good day. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn