NJ Rental property laws

I have a friend who rents in NJ but lives elsewhere who is trying to rent a home through a rental agent.

I _thought_ that rental agents couldn't double dip (at least I always thought they can't, AFAIK), but the rental agent she is dealing with seems to be asking to double dip.

How can I find out easily on the net if that's legal? (I don't want to do a lot of work - but just to look it up for her and win brownie points for that effort.)

Can a NJ rental agent charge both (a) a month's rent for finding a renter and then (b) charge 10% each month for managing the property (collecting rent, scheduling maintenance & repairs)?

Where would I find this legal information on the net?

Reply to
knuttle

I am not in New Jersey but it would be legal in Florida. That is two different services. Typically the service charge would be buried in the rent tho, not a separate line item since she is providing that service to the landlord, not you. If she is also the landlord (maybe through an LLC, you have to look) and this pisses you off, find your own home that she doesn't own. Steering you to her property and charging you for it is giving you an idea of what kind of landlord you can expect.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sounds reasonable to me. I don't see double dipping. I know people that own NJ rentals and pay the realtor to manage the property for them.

Can you avoid it? Sure, don't rent that property. Find one on your own. If you rent a U-Haul truck at the local gas station it is the same thing. They do a service and get a commission for it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not sure why you would question this.

The agent provides the service of finding and signing up a renter (service #1). He then provides another service of handling property management tasks (service #2).

Two separate and independent services earn two separate fees. The property owner could contract with two different providers...or have the same provider handle both.

Sorta' like paying a new car dealer "fee" #1 - the difference between what he paid for the car and what he charges you for it....and fee #2- what you pay him you for oil changes and post-warranty repairs.

You can buy a car wherever you want and get it serviced wherever you want- or maybe even service it yourself.

Reply to
Wade Garrett