Electrical Permits in NJ (2023 Update)

I went to apply for my permits today to add the new bathroom to the house. The house is a twin (aka duplex). The building inspector told me that since the house is a duplex, I can't do my own electrical work (even though the the state code says specifies that homeowners can do there own work in residential structures). Anyone in NJ ever hear of this? His reason is that "there is no problem with you burning down your own house, but they wont let you bring down the house attached to you". I now have to go find an electricial to sign the electrical permit application, which isn't a big deal since I work with a bunch of

electricians.

Oddly, the plumbing inspector has no problem with me doing the plumbing

(and potentially flooding my attached neighbors out!) and approved my plumbing plans.

Reply to
MB

Could be a local code. Do the work yourself and get an electrician to get the permits.

Reply to
Bob

That is correct. A homeowner in New Jersey can only do electrical work on the single family house that he/she lives in. If it is a single family house that you rent out to others or a multi-family house or building, a licensed electrical contractor must do the work. Don't count on doing the work yourself and having a licensed electrical contractor sign off on it later. Most will not do that. If you want to save some money try to find a contractor that will work with you or allow you to assist him before you start the job.

Reply to
John Grabowski

The electrical contractor who's name is on the permit is completely liable for the work done. These days only a fool would take that risk, however like John suggests, especially smaller companies will allow you to help, at least do the grunt work. Having a job inspected and having a certificate of compliance means little if the house burns

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
BRIAN MEEHAN

Yes, that is correct. There is also, I believe, some differences in electrical code minimum requirements for singe vs. multi-occupancy buildings.

Reply to
sleepdog

"RBM" wrote in news:aa2Ef.1216$uw2.978 @fe08.lga:

It means the world when it comes to filing an insurance claim.

Brad (NJ)

Reply to
Brad Bruce

Here (midwest US) it's stricter, at least in this city you can't do your own work on a multi irrespective of whether you live in it. People still do it of course. Being able to do your own pb makes sense, as opposed to electrical, HVAC, load bearing stuff. You probably can't run gas lines though that is technically a plumbing job.

Better safe than sorry vis-a-vis getting sued out the wazoo.

Reply to
roger61611

If you make a mistake and it causes a fire the other person(s) living in an adjoining unit could be affected. That is why a licensed contractor is required to do the work.

Reply to
Arnold Hecht

Just the typical homemoanershub post that adds nothing to a 17 year old thread.

Reply to
bud--