How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

Pico Rico posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I beg to differ. There is still the same amount of water on earth now as when it was created. Think about it. You are drinking the same water that was peed in at some time.

Reply to
Tekkie®

DannyD. posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Wharf-Hyd-070910.pdf

No, but then again our ff water is either supplied by municipal hydrants or tanker ops. The hydrants are here are dry and have drains. I can see the purpose of the thrust block as if the hydrant is closed rapidly, the water hammer may blow the connection at the elbow. It also appears (IIRC) the OP hydrant is too low to ground...

We had a bridge rebuilt. The water co laid new lines with a hydrant at one end of the bridge, ok. Guard rail was installed about 3" from the hydrant. It has been awhile but I believe the line had to moved for clearance. Had t o go through the municipal engineer.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Leaving aside the fact that most of the water on the planet was delivered by comet billions of years ago (most of it wasn't here when the earth coalesced from cosmic dust).

Unless you believe the earth is only 6000 years old.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I limit myself to drinking water that has been created by the burning of fossil fuels.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Buy one of these (or the equivalent locally):

-or-

and rent the appropriate truck to haul it. I think U-Haul will rent a pickup truck for 19.95/day + fuel + mileage.

Reply to
John Haskey

which of their BMWs would be the appropriate size to tow the 1000 gallon jobbie?

Reply to
Pico Rico

Some water might be combined by photo synthesis, or released by burning hydrocarbons. But, it's within a percent or two.

I'm OK as long as the dinosaur didn't fart in the premordal stew.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In Western NY, the Rochester FD has its own thread, as does Newark, NY. Sadly, there are about a zillion hydrants and length of hose and fire trucks that are invested in the non standard thread.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, it's not:

?By examining how the ratio of these isotopes has changed, we have been able to determine that over the course of around four billion years, t he Earth's oceans have lost about a quarter of their original mass."

IDK why you guys just assume stuff. There's no particular reason to think that what was in place when the earth was a very different and unihabitable planet would still exist today. Or do you think the earth is 10,000 years old?

Reply to
trader_4

CRNG wrote, on Wed, 09 Jul 2014 06:58:45 -0500:

I'm told that it's 10,000 for every 100 feet, which, out here, we'd need about 500 feet (a recent well is just that), so, about fifty thousand dollars.

Reply to
DannyD.

Zaky Waky wrote, on Wed, 09 Jul 2014 10:44:40 +0000:

If you're in Vermont, how do you know that our water 'isn't' as old as I had surmised? Did you simply guess? Or did you have information?

Reply to
DannyD.

John Haskey wrote, on Wed, 09 Jul 2014 22:54:09 +0000:

I like the idea of those water-hauling trailers!

etc.

Reply to
DannyD.

Out on the left coast, you millionaires and billionaires don't even consider that pocket change, right?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And, roughly speaking, how much do they cost to purchase?

Reply to
TomR

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:01:30 +0000 (UTC), "DannyD." wrote in

Bummer. So about $100,000 for a 1000 foot well and no guarantee that you'll even hit water. I can see the appeal of a community well.

I'm beginning understand why the "cliff dweller" civilizations suddenly moved away during the 30-year drought cycle in NM and AZ in the 9th century. You can't live long without adequate water.

Reply to
CRNG

On Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:05:59 +0000 (UTC), "DannyD." wrote in

Those look like good ideas. Any idea what they cost?

Reply to
CRNG

note after some research the $100,000 for a 1000 foot is at the very top of the cost of a water well...

Around here its closer to 10 bucks a foot:)

Reply to
bob haller

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:39:02 -0400:

It's unfair, but in California, our cost of living is tremendously higher than yours (mainly due to supply and demand for the sun).

So, a run-down fixer-upper with almost zero land and almost zero space and falling apart, in the valley, is no less than

600K to 800K dollars.

A "nice" house, is over a million, and, if you want any land to speak of, then you're looking at multiple millions. Assume about 1.5% (give or take) for taxes every year, and you begin to see what it costs us to live here.

Add to that an income tax of around 9% and a sales tax of about the same, and one of the highest gas taxes, plus utility taxes that are tremendous, and we're almost taxed to death.

Without getting political, that means we MUST earn more money than you guys elsewhere, just to survive, poverty being probably around 50K per year for a family, I think (although I didn't look it up).

Problem is, we have to be taxed at the same rate by the feds as you guys, so, if we make a paltry barely livable $100K, we get taxed at the 36% bracket.

So, our taxes, in effect, are over 60% (hard to add all those up though).

You should *thank* us, for paying more in taxes than every other state combined! (I think that's the figure but I'd have to look it up to be sure.)

:)

Reply to
Danny D.

CRNG wrote, on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 05:49:29 -0500:

UPDATE:

The neighbors, who recently ran out of water, just drilled a new well of 520 feet, which is getting 18 gallons per minute, and which hit water at 300 feet initially.

They said it cost over 50K to drill, and that's not even counting the new tanks they had to put in to meet the new code.

Reply to
Danny D.

bob haller wrote, on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:38:37 -0700:

This is California, Silicon Valley, one of the most expensive places in the country, where I was quoted $4,200 just to fill my pool with water.

My neighbors, who drilled a 520 foot well, said it cost them over fifty thousand dollars, so, that's about $100 a foot.

They had initially hit water at 300 feet, but at 520 feet, they're getting 18 gallons a minute, and the code is that they must also have 15,000 gallons of tank, where the rules are such that each tank will be 5,000 gallons (because of platform requirements if it's over 5,000 gallons).

10,000 gallons must be reserved for fire suppression alone, so only 5,000 gallons is for the homeowner.
Reply to
Danny D.