How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:18:56 -0400:

The fire hydrants are about five miles away, and that's the absolute closest to municipal water (San Jose Water Company).

I'm thinking of building a how-to web site, where I test free android apps, or that I write how to's for people who know as little as I do. Maybe .. some day ...

Reply to
DannyD.

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:57 -0400:

Just dump water into the tanks.

Everyone, by code, has to have something like 10,000 gallons or

15,000 minimum (codes changed over time) so we would just dump the water into the top of the water tank that every house has.
Reply to
DannyD.

How much would it cost to deepen a/the wells? you could get several households to pay for the cost of deepening one or more of the wells and distribute the water via a smaller, truck mountable tank

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:21:57 -0400:

The fire hydrant would likely fill the tank on the truck, but, the homeowner water tanks are ten to fifteen (or so) feet up in the air, and some are on hills above the houses.

So, the pump is to get the water from the truck all the way up (maybe fifteen or twenty feet?) to the top of the water tank, which is the only ready-made opening.

Reply to
DannyD.

HomeGuy wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:48:00 -0400:

Everyone has 10,000 or 15,000 gallon tanks of water. Most have two or three large tanks. I don't think anyone doesn't have a tank or three.

So, that's where the water would be stored.

Reply to
DannyD.

Pico Rico wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 16:01:57 -0700:

I had called this water service a while ago to fill my pool: Franks Water Service, 20915 Old Santa Cruz Highway, 408-353-1343

He told me to get someone else because he didn't deliver up the hills, but, he said it would cost about $4,000 to fill a 40,000 gallon pool.

Total of about 4 miles from end to end (as the crow flies).

Average of about five miles from the nearest San Jose Water Company fire hydrant to the residences. That's why everyone has their own well.

Actually it's by the month, but I just divided by 30 to get the daily cost. I didn't ask them at the San Jose Water Company what their shortest rental period is (I can call them Monday at 408-279-7835).

Some have horses, so they have trailers. I don't have any of that, and none have volunteered any equipment yet. Some have pickups, but, it's not farm land, so, most just have Lexus SUVs & Prius' sedans.

Reply to
DannyD.

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:17:03 -0400:

Five miles to the nearest hydrants.

Muni water is the same, but there isn't any access that I know of, other than through the hydrants.

Reply to
DannyD.

Gordon Shumway wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 19:11:27 -0500:

I understand. There is apparently an "iron pipe" thread, and a "brass fire hose" thread.

I think. I'm not sure, but that will be a detail that must be considered when the trucking part is figured out.

All of us have what is called a "wharf hydrant" on our residences which is tied to the bottom 1/3 of the water tanks on the property.

It's the code for Santa Clara County that each house has their own fire hydrant, but these hydrants are tall skinny things, but I think the hose is the same as the smaller opening on the San Jose Water Company fire hydrants miles away.

Reply to
DannyD.

trader_4 wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:01:32 -0700:

The problem with the Hertz water tank trucks is that they only have

2,000 gallons, which (a) requires a class A license, and (b) they say they would never recommend you drink out of it because they're mostly used as sprayers at construction sites.

Hertz Equipment Rental 408-451-9320

Reply to
DannyD.

trader_4 wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:01:32 -0700:

Everyone has 10,000 to 15,000 gallons of water storage on their property. It's the code (grandfathered and changed over time).

Reply to
DannyD.

trader_4 wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 18:01:32 -0700:

That's an interesting idea!

I will ask them tomorrow (or maybe Monday).

That's the kind of innovative suggestions I was hoping to find from the collective mind!

Thanks!

Reply to
DannyD.

Which brings up another question: So how long before even the deeper wells run dry? I've read this is not just a drought-induced issue but that the water table in that area has been receding for decades due to groundwater pumping. There are also some interesting geological questions relating to whether an ever-smaller water table might have an effect on future earthquakes.

We've seen that fracking induces earthquakes, albeit small ones, but I think the jury's still out on what effect all the water-shifting that goes on in that part of the country will have in the long run.

It's important to remember that areas of lush vegetation have become deserts in very short geological timespans because of volcanic eruptions or other major events. You don't have to go very far inland in California to find plenty of deserts.

It won't be long before we start strapping huge engines on icebergs and steering them toward Califonia to keep the nation's agriculture center afloat. (-;

Reply to
Robert Green

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote, on Fri, 27 Jun 2014 21:39:22 -0700:

The way it works here is that each homeowner has their own well, so, there wouldn't be any sharing of drilling costs.

I have two wells, for example. Neither one puts out more than a few gallons before shutting off lately.

Reply to
DannyD.

Note that it's not just the distance, it's the height. Danny is talking about 5 miles at 9% grade. Maybe the 5 miles isn't all on the grade, but it sounds like his 'hood may be 2000' above that closest muni water. It takes 1000 psi to raise water 2000'. Therefore it would not just be a matter of running pipe, it would also require new pumps

-- either pipe to handle 1000 psi and a very hefty pump, or normal pipe and several stages of pumps.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Oh, and if you use that 1000 gallon tank ... remember that unless it has internal baffles, it must be FULL while you are driving. Otherwise, the sloshing will turn your truck over or drag the tank off the truck. And this is a big problem since you are planning to empty it in several stages. You could try driving very slowly when it's not full, but given the kind of terrain you are talking about, I suspect that won't be enough.

Perhaps you can get a tank with baffles. I suspect that $500 won't buy it, but I could be wrong.

Or you could simply deliver each full load to just one resident. With the size tanks you are talking about, you'd have to do some planning, but it sounds feasible.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Edward Reid wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 02:05:26 -0400:

This is an astute calculation. The municipal water supply is at about 300 to 600 feet elevation. The houses are all well above 2000 feet elevation.

Reply to
DannyD.

Edward Reid wrote, on Sat, 28 Jun 2014 02:11:19 -0400:

This is interesting! And thought provoking!

Reply to
DannyD.

In theory they "all" use national standard thread, but there are exceptions. Near me, Newark, NY has a bastard thread, and Rochester NY also.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Five miles is too long for garden hose, even if it had the flow and pressure.

The local tanks, are the tanks inground, or above ground? Inground, you can probably gravity drain from the truck tank.

I sense this will turn into a one man project, and that one man will be rather busy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Now that you have read all the posts before replying to the posts, put your name on the top of the paper and turn it in."

Since houses all have electric (right?) you can use a HF or similar well pump. Since you figure to do this more than once, you can build a fill pipe or tap into the existing fill system, for your own use. Ideally, there is existing way they fill the tanks, from the well. You can put in a valve, to fill from the truck. Run an extension cord down two flight of stairs, and move the washing machine to get at the good electric socket behind the washing machine for each tank load of water. Could turn into good exercise.

I can see this turning into a major social event for the delivery guy, as it may take an hour (or more) to pump the truck tank to the house tank. Won't you please come in and tell me all about aunt Myrtle's lumbago? And how's Aunt Bee doing? Goober says hey.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon