Earths can be dangerous

And how builders tools are powered.

Still very unlikely to kill him.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, its done like that to in theory make them safer in those wet areas.

We have a clue and allow normal power points in the bathroom with some restrictions on where the power point can be so that say falling into the bath cant splash over the power point.

The system has been designed so that you don't get killed even when that does happen at times.

Reply to
Rod Speed

No, it is not. Builder's tools with no ground are "double insulated" = meaninf there are no conductive parts in contact with the operator that have any possibility of becoming "live"/ NO isolation transformers are involved.

Says you - who knows NOTHING about even something as simple as a "double insulated" tool

Reply to
Clare Snyder

+1

IDK what exactly "builder's tools" even means, but I've never seen a transformer isolated power tool, just double insulated. Plus today we use GFCI/RCD at building sites, outdoors, wet locations, etc.

+1
Reply to
trader_4

Have you not seen the big yellow boxes they use? Those are transformers. You get 110V (as opposed to 240V in the UK that they're supplied with) out of them, isolated from the mains.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

They're yellow boxes, transformers that isolate all the equipment from the mains, so you don't have anything 240V away from ground.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Must be a UK code thing because we don't use them here at building sites and Clare says not in Canada too. Funny, I thought you said there were no codes in the UK. We have double insulated tools, GFCI/RCD, and you need isolation transformers too? WTF?

Reply to
trader_4

You have not posted anything worth quoting

Reply to
ARW

I wish he would try it.

Reply to
ARW

+1 - or 2 - or even 240
Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'm not wasting more time on that oaf, but just wondering whether we should be moving on to a 'post-earth world' for other reasons. The original reasons for earthing appliances don't apply anything like so much any more, so maybe... maybe....there's an argument for saying the balance of risk has shifted to the extent that earthing should no longer be regarded as essential? And might even be positively dangerous? Not my field, so I can't form a worthwhile view on it. :-/

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

What are you talking about here? What no longer applies?

so maybe... maybe....there's an argument for saying the

If it's not your field, then what's the previous comment based on?

Reply to
trader_4

Of course. But are those reasons still as compelling as they were 60 or

70 years ago?
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Something to do with phone boxes, he said. I'd have thought a phone box (traditional type) would form a protective Faraday Cage for anyone inside anyway.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Did Maxwell's equations change in the last 70 years?

Reply to
trader_4

Cursitor Doom wrote

To some extent we have with double insulated appliances most obviously.

But there is still a problem with washing machines, dishwashers, electrical water heaters and ovens and stoves etc which arent really practical to do double insulated.

Yes, again, most obviously with double insulated devices.

See above.

Yes, that?s always been one argument for double insulated devices.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Early power tools had metal cases, two prong receptacles and cords at the time did not have a grounding conductor, nor were plugs and receptacles polarized. So the power tool safety you're attributing to earthing in the early days didn't exist. You're both barking up the wrong tree.

Reply to
trader_4

Not a british style "phone box" - but the phone demarcation point - where the phone wire enters the house

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Moaning about somebody and not saying who they are is ridiculous.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On building sites they're over the top here. In houses they don't care what you do, after all it's you're own home. Only if you rent a house out do you need to get it checked.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife