Can Limestone steps be cleaned

My neighbor recently had her stoop replaced with limestone and bricks...nice job, neatly done. But now she seems to be let down by the fact that when washing off some of the left over debris made by the workers, it seems to leave mild stain. The workers said it would be clear once it dries up. Well there has been 2 sunny days and the wash off seems to not have worked. Can they be cleaned with a certain detergent or chemical?

Reply to
Anthony

What will work best to try to remove it would likely depend on what the stain is. For example, if it's rust colored, I'd try one of the CLR type rust removers. If it's something oil based, then a detergent type cleaner. One of the concrete cleaners could be a choice as well.

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:e0d41905- snipped-for-privacy@fk28g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I'd be careful with those chemicals. Limestone, like marble, is a form of calcium carbonate and acid will (slowly) dissolve it. I would suggest to call the workers (and their boss) back and have them fix things. Hopefully final payment has not yet been made.

Reply to
Han

I haven't done it myself but my dad used to use ground limestone to "clean up " limestone tombstones.

He would sprinkle the lime "dust" onto the stone and then brush it off with a hard fiber bristle brush. The powered lime seemed to wick up some of the stands.

Reply to
John Gilmer