Earths can be dangerous

I've disconnected the earth from a lot of my kitchen appliances, for one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth. No earthed stuff all over the place, no chance of a shock. I don't really care for myself as 240 volts can't kill a healthy human, but I have pets that chew wires. If one chews an appliance cord while sat on the microwave, it will get 240 volts through it's whole body, including it's heart. Remove the earth and the danger is gone.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

or Live and Neutral.

And no apostrophe in possessive its.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, but I can't remove the neutral or the appliance would no longer function. My point is the earth does not help the appliance work, all it does is add another possible path for electrocution.

That's subjective. "The car drove along the road with it's boot open". The boot belongs to the car, "it" owns the boot, so I include a possessive apostrophe. Why should Graham get an apostrophe but not it? Mind you, there are no instances of its or it's in what I wrote above, so what are you complaining about? Did you automatically assume I must have included one?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I agree that at first sight it's (it is) illogical that "its" (possessive) doesn't have an apostrophe, and neither does "hers" which could be construed as "her's" ie belonging to her. I imagine the reason is that the apostrophe is used for two very different circumstances: 1) possessives, 2) contractions of "it is" to "it's".Grammar scholars evidently decided that we need to be able to distinguish between "belonging to it" and "it is", and so decided that only one of the two would have an apostrophe.

I'd say that "it's" as a possessive is wrong... but for all the right, logical reasons :-)

Reply to
NY

In article , Jimmy Wilkinson Knife scribeth thus

God! You do come up with some real Bollix don't you!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That was a failed attempt at a troll, even by your standards trollboy...

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, I come up with personal experience. Firstly it must go through your heart to have any chance of causing problems. Secondly, you need a weak heart for it to bother you.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It wasn't a troll, what makes you think it is? It's a genuine thing that I've done, accompanied by an explanation as to why.

Do you disagree with any of the basic laws of physics I've used in the above paragraph? If so, point out which sentence is wrong and explain your point of view.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The now unemployed and unemployable prick/troll is back. He has a degree you know. What a wanker.

Enjoy his bait.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He's a troll. Stop responding to him.

Reply to
Huge

Really ?. I thought this NG was the source of all knowledge ?

Reply to
Andrew

Eh? The obvious thing to say here is you must have a lot of badly placed things with long cables in your kitchen.

I do not see your logic since the chewing animal will still get live and neutral so where is the difference if neutral is in fact earthed locally anyhow.

No I think you are having a laugh on us. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Oh dear, you do realise you are very very close in many newsgroups of being plonked as a troll do you not? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I propose that the apostrophe is basically redundant. If nobody can agree on its uses then I'm sure one could do so by context as far as the meaning is concerned.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Learn to use a killfile.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Nearly right. It's actually the source of all ignorance.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No, like everyone else I have a microwave plugged in near to itself. Therefore a pet can sit on top of the microwave and chew the microwave's flex. This could result in the live wire in it's mouth and the earthed chassis on it's feet, hence 240V through it's body. With no earthed chassis, it could only get live and neutral both in it's mouth. Perhaps a nasty burn to the tongue, but nothing through the heart so not life threatening.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Not close, already have, by fools. Fools which usually then moan and groan at everyone else for not plonking me, because their killfiles are incapable of deleting replies to me.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Then why did you write I'm instead of Im?

I do think it's pointless on things like "let's" because nobody still says "let us play chess", not since biblical times anyway. That would be confusing anyway, as "let's play chess" means you want to play, whereas "let us play chess" is asking a third person for permission to play.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

  • 1
Reply to