Convert lock from key operated to combination?

We have a night latch - one of these:

What is the best way (ie easiest, not necessarily cheapest) to convert this to combination lock?

Reply to
GB

GB wrote on 31/05/2018 :

The easiest way, is to use an electric one. You would need to replace the part which fixes onto the door frame (the latch ?), with a solenoid operated version, then add a suitable keypad and logic somewhere near the door.

I have one on the small side door of my garage. Which operates on 18v DC from memory. You can set it with 6 to 8 number /letter code entry, with four different user codes and a master code. So four different people could have their own different entry code, one person leaves the company, so just their code needs to be changed to a new one for a new person.

Type one of the correct codes in and power is applied to the latch to release it it hinge out of the way, but only for a preset few seconds when it re-locks. A normal Yale type key can also be used as usual.

I got fed up of needing a key to get into my garage/workshop, so added this instead. Now I just need to remember the entry code. I get in fine, if I do it without thinking, but struggle to remember the code if I think about it :-?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On a lock I often have to use on a charity rented room the keys are not in the standard keypad order and are in two rows, so trying to get in when you want to without sight can be a bit annoying to say the least! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mine has three rows across, four down. 1 to 9 plus A, 0, B at the bottom. I rely on muscle memory to press the right buttons, in the correct order.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Does it have a pip on the 5? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Surely, for you, the combination is something like:

Col 1, row 3 Col 2, row 5 etc

Unless you have a reader that can read out the legends on each key, what is written on them does not matter.

Reply to
GB

I was hoping just to replace the cylinder with a combination version, but I suspect that that does not exist. Due to location, it needs to be mechanical.

Interesting, thanks.

Reply to
GB

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

Not that I have ever noticed, but I manage just fine even in the dark.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You could fit a mechanical code lock such as

but they are significantly less secure than the lock you are replacing in that the 4 digit code can be entered in any order - so 1234 or 2431 etc will open the lock. Over time the 4 valid numbers tend to be easy to spot by deposits of dirt etc on the number pads. (All mechanical locks have this problem).

Reply to
Peter Parry

You would really like the ones that use an LCD touch pad and randomly arrange the numbers each time they are used.

Reply to
dennis

A bit pricey, but this any use?

Richard

Thanks, Richard. That does look like what I need. Shame it takes batteries, though.

Reply to
GB

ERA does a much cheaper version, about ?40 I think, available from All Good Hardware Shops. No batteries. You can get even cheaper Chinese ones on-line. They come as complete nightlatch kits but you can just fit the keypad mechanism over the external face of the old key cylinder.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

Mech locks can't have an increasingly longer wait between goes. Find a 4 ring combo padlock and see how long it takes to crack. So if its out of sight any scally have have a look round your gaff.

Why have any external pad? Use bluetooth/wireless and phone.

If it can work a lamp it can work a latch solenoid.

Peter Hill

replying to GB, aguerrier01 wrote: I am in the USA and I got a padlock Master model M176 ;I forgot the combination and I misplaced the key;how can you help to open it.

Reply to
aguerrier01

Reply to
Andy Burns