Earths can be dangerous

I've disconnected the earth from a lot of my kitchen appliances, for one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth. No earthed stuff all over the place, no chance of a shock. I don't really care for myself as 240 volts can't kill a healthy human, but I have pets that chew wires. If one chews an appliance cord while sat on the microwave, it will get 240 volts through it's whole body, including it's heart. Remove the earth and the danger is gone.
--
Watching his date from the corner of his eye while he poured her a drink, the young bachelor said, "Say when."
She replied, "Right after that drink."

God! You do come up with some real Bollix don't you!...

--
Tony Sayer

No, I come up with personal experience. Firstly it must go through your heart to have any chance of causing problems. Secondly, you need a weak heart for it to bother you.

--
I was on a Southwest flight once that was delayed at the gate after everyone boarded. The flight attendant said over the intercom, "We're sorry for the delay. The machine that normally rips the handles off your luggage is broken, so we're having to do it by hand. We should be finished and on our way shortly."

So only those with weak hearts are thus affected?, I bet you won't find any medical reports on electrocution to back that up;!

Our hamster when i were a lad went and chewed the cable to the TV it blew his head apart poor little thing!.
No earths were involved in harming that animal;!.
--
Tony Sayer

Difficult to tell the state of the heart after the event. Plus everyone has an ulterior motive, or is lazy. Just look at the reports for people's deaths, they never say much, just "old age", "exposure", etc, etc.

That's unfortunate, I would have thought he'd just get a fried tongue as the current would be from live to neutral only a few mm apart. If he'd been sat on something earthed, it would have been more likely to kill him, as the current would go through his vital organs. I once had a parrot chew through the wire behind a wall light. There was a very loud bang (I think the spark was echoed by the cone shaped glass shade), which made him fly away rapidly and the 5A lighting fuse blow. He didn't seem to be in any pain and didn't yelp. I assume he managed to short live to neutral but not through himself.
--
A hammer is a device designed to break valuable objects next to the nail you are aiming at.

Where in fact the amount of current flowing across any heart, healthy or otherwise does not have to be a lot to disturb its function. Any idea of what currents are in the body compared to what can flow through a light electric shock scenario?.

I though for a moment there Polly was going to put the electric kettle on;!
--
Tony Sayer

100 to 200 ma through the body is most often lethal. As little as 60ma can kill 60 to 100ma ac accross the chest can cause fatal arrythmia. This can be limb to limb, which is why electricians say, if in doubt keep one hand in your pocket.

Can but usually doesn't. Why do you deal with worst case scenarios? Yet in other areas, like loading of double sockets, in the UK they assume that probably nobody will exceed 20A on a double 13A socket, so the socket is rated at 20A, not 26A which would make more sense.
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.

He's a troll. Stop responding to him.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 5th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
Celebrate Syaday

Learn to use a killfile.
--
In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand (or attempted to do so).

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Fuck off and die Hucker. ASAP.
Huge wrote:

+ 1
On 31/05/18 17:17, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

That was a failed attempt at a troll, even by your standards trollboy...

It wasn't a troll, what makes you think it is? It's a genuine thing that I've done, accompanied by an explanation as to why.
Do you disagree with any of the basic laws of physics I've used in the above paragraph? If so, point out which sentence is wrong and explain your point of view.
--
"I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out." -- Rodney Dangerfield.

On Thu, 31 May 2018 18:12:07 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm not sure he was trolling. It *is* actually a valid point, although he seems to have gone about explaining it in a bit of a daft way. There are times when it is essential from the safety point of view to remove the Earth reference. When I'm troubleshooting big switching power supplies, I *always* remove the Earth reference by means of an isolation transformer. But you have to know what you're doing, and removing the Earth from domestic appliances is not something a non-electrician should *ever* even contemplate.

Think about it this way, earthing or not earthing a washing machine has the following advantages:
Earthed: If the live wire inside the machine touches the chassis, it blows the fuse and fails safe. Non-earthed: If you do touch a live anywhere in the kitchen while your leg is touching the washing machine, you can longer complete the circuit and won't get a shock, only a tingle.
I consider the second scenario to be far more likely to happen. I've never known a chassis to become live due to an internal fault. But damaged flexes etc etc elsewhere can mean you create a path to ground through the earthed chassis. And if you've unearthed everything, even if the first scenario did occur, you can't get a shock!
--
"A life without danger is a life not worth living" -- Moist von Lipwig

On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 4:30:46 PM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Nice to know you hump your washing machine. It also explains why in that other stupid troll thread a couple weeks ago, you went on about how you could move your washing machine anywhere in the house. Now we understand. You take it to the bedroom to fuck it.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 14:11:53 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

You continually feed trolls, why is that?
On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 5:58:54 PM UTC-4, None wrote:

You just continued the troll thread with another post, while complaining about trolls. Why is that?
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 15:23:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Evasion noted. Why do you continually feed trolls? Dull blade, Menstrual, Burpford, etc?