Earths can be dangerous

I've disconnected the earth from a lot of my kitchen appliances, for one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth. No earthed stuff all over the place, no chance of a shock. I don't really care for myself as 240 volts can't kill a healthy human, but I have pets that chew wires. If one chews an appliance cord while sat on the microwave, it will get 240 volts through it's whole body, including it's heart. Remove the earth and the danger is gone.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

In article , Jimmy Wilkinson Knife scribeth thus

God! You do come up with some real Bollix don't you!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That was a failed attempt at a troll, even by your standards trollboy...

Reply to
Tim Watts

No, I come up with personal experience. Firstly it must go through your heart to have any chance of causing problems. Secondly, you need a weak heart for it to bother you.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It wasn't a troll, what makes you think it is? It's a genuine thing that I've done, accompanied by an explanation as to why.

Do you disagree with any of the basic laws of physics I've used in the above paragraph? If so, point out which sentence is wrong and explain your point of view.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The now unemployed and unemployable prick/troll is back. He has a degree you know. What a wanker.

Enjoy his bait.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He's a troll. Stop responding to him.

Reply to
Huge

Learn to use a killfile.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

  • 1
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Fuck off and die Hucker. ASAP.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

You seem to have a severe lack of electrical knowledge.

Reply to
FMurtz

Someday Darwin will educate him. No worries.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

It's you that hasn't given your reasoning. I explained very clearly to you that you need to CREATE A CIRCUIT. Touching live on it's own is NOT deadly. Removing sources of earth and/or neutral reduces the chance of a circuit being created.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I see you have nothing to add either. Go on then, explain to me why earth saves electrocutions. Explain to me why you think you can get a shock without a completed circuit.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I installed a giant whole-house isolation transformer.  No grounds now so I'm bulletproof.

Reply to
None

You do realise you're being overly optimistic. It's quite obvious that he doesn't practice what he preaches. He trolls several news groups but here, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Success trolling here can't be providing him quite the same 'sense of achievement' as elsewhere but I guess he bothers this group as his 'go to' source of lightweight amusement. You take your entertainment from wherever you can get it. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

This could easily be done by the electric company. They save a bit of cash by providing a neutral that's the same as earth. If they fed your house with live and neutral, and didn't ground one of them at the substation, nobody would ever die of electrocution, every house would be operating the same way as a building site does with those isolating transformers. In fact I don't think they're even saving money. In my case I have an armoured wire coming into the house from the substation. It consists of a live conductor inside a red plastic shield, and around that is armour plating which is neutral/earth, then a plastic sleeve round that. They could easily unground the armour conductor then I couldn't get a shock from live to the actual ground when using a mower for example. However, do some appliances need a ground for their operation? Would for example a desktop computer work ok if the chassis wasn't grounded? Does it need that to provide shielding form outside interference? Or would it be happy just to have the casing connected (as it already is) to the 0V line of the PSU output? Surely that would still provide the Faraday cage to keep the interference out?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

What evidence do you have for this? I can show you a photograph of the unearthed equipment if you don't believe me.

No, you just think I do. I have no reason and nothing to benefit from trolling, and can't see the point of anyone doing so. Everything I write is a truthful event or my opinion on a subject. If you disagree with it, I'm happy to accept explanations as to why I might be wrong. But just saying "you're wrong" doesn't achieve anything.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

ne simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth. No eart hed stuff all over the place, no chance of a shock. I don't really care fo r myself as 240 volts can't kill

liance cord while sat on the microwave, it will get 240 volts through it's whole body, including it's heart. Remove the earth and the danger is gone.

so I'm bulletproof.

sh by providing a neutral that's the same as earth. If they fed your house with live and neutral, and didn't ground one of them at the substation, no body would ever die of electrocution,

It's not an issue of money, it's an issue of safety and preventing damage. Without an earth ground there is no safe path for lightning strikes or othe r possible extreme over voltage conditions. For example, if a lightning bolt strikes the overhead service conductors, in a system where the neutral is grounded, it's mostly safely channeled away to earth before ever reaching the building, or the rest of the distribution systems, because one of those conductors is directly tied to earth. The vast majority of the lightning surge energy flows to earth via the ground rods at each end. The same technique is used throughout the distribution system.

It would actually cost less to install your isolated neutral. You already have an isolated neutral coming out of the split-phase transformer secondar y. All you need to do is remove the earth ground rod and wire at the street transformer and remove the earth ground rod and wire at the building . Less parts, less labor.

This is for the education of anyone else who comes across this and is interested. I know you will continue on with your usual nonsensical blathe r.

every house would be operating the same way as a building site does with t hose isolating transformers.

Building sites in the US also, per code, use an earth grounded neutral.

Reply to
trader_4

His lack of knowledge most certainly is not limited to things electrical. He is totally clueless about just about anything and everything.

Reply to
Clare Snyder