Earths can be dangerous

On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 21:23:28 +0100, trader_4 wro= te:

=

50% chance it hits the live side, which increases the problem. You now = =

have millions of volts trying to go through every appliance in your hous= e =

to earth.

We have codes, although we call them a more adult word: "regulations". = =

But only electricians need to adhere to them, and only in England, =

Scotland is a bit more civilised. Does your government really check on = =

DIY stuff you did yourself?!

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

e:

Nonsense. The vast majority of the energy is going straight to earth via the neutral side which is earthed. It's a low impedance path and even if the lightning bolt initially contacted the hot side it will instantly arc over to the neutral with most of the energy going to earth via that route because both ends of that conductor are earthed. The conductors can't support a voltage more than a few thousand volts between them without arcing over. And again, that's a big reason for earthing one side of the service.

Previously you denied you had codes, but again, that's not the point. If you can do as you please over there, just go ahead and remove the earthing from your home and stop bitching about it. And yes, the govt checks on building codes here even if you do it yourself. The lives you jeopardize are not necessarily just your own and if you violate codes regarding building height, setbacks, fences, it affects other property owners.

Reply to
trader_4

On Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:54:51 +0100, trader_4 wro= te:

=

Nope, with a huge amount of voltage and current available, it will go bo= th =

ways, just like your mains power will go through a tiny desk lamp and th= e =

range at the same time, yet the range is an easier path.

We don't, in the three ways I stated above:

1) They don't apply in Scotland. 2) They don't apply to individuals. 3) They aren't called "codes".

I have, I was just pointing out how stupid it is to have earthing. I've= =

taken earth away from everywhere it can cause danger - particularly wher= e =

pets might chew a live wire while stood on an earthed appliance.

You're moving the goalposts, we were talking about electrical codes.

We also have annoying government regulations about building things, but = =

nobody really cares about them or adheres to them. Unless of course I =

built a three storey house right next to someone else's so they had no =

view or sunlight. But the pathetic little rules about fences and hedges= , =

nobody cares. If my tree is a bit tall and threatening to fall down in = =

high winds, my neighbour might politely ask me if I could lower it, but = we =

certainly don't stoop to grassing each other off.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

In article , Jimmy Wilkinson Knife scribeth thus

As long as a fault doesn't earth them somewhere and you don't know about the fault but in the world of Mack the knife these things don't happen....

Look up diversity..

Reply to
tony sayer

:

It's not normally anything. You can buy HV PSUs at any voltage. I have= =

one here that's variable up to 3kV.

Which makes things no worse than the earthed supply we have now.

We're discussing an HV power supply. It's output won't go to ground, it= 's =

ISOLATED.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I'm just pointing out that it's your fault.

I've killfiled you many times. So have most people.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The other side of some plastic. If there was enough voltage to get through that, you'd have felt it when you picked it up.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Lightning just isn't common enough to worry about, go take your medication.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

72 out of 7 million is insignificant. People worry too much about minorities. If you think the building you're in is dangerous, move.
Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

The difference is that with your scheme, you know it doesn?t matter if you touch a bare active line, because its floating. If one of the heater elements has silently earthed one side of the supply, in any of the houses supplied from that 11KV to 240V street transformer, if you touch that active then, that can kill you.

With the current approach, the failure of the heating element will trip the RCD so you have replace the heating element and cant ignore it.

Nope, we're discussing your proposal that mains supplys should be floating.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You need a CIRCUIT.

Lets say the cable lost the neutral under the road between me and the substation. How would the current get back to the transformer? There's no reason to have the neutral shoved into the ground on my side of the road.

Doesn't that cause voltages in the ground around the earth stake?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

A good reason not to be earthing everything.

If it's floating, it's harder to get an undesirable route for the current.

Nope, you can have one for the whole street as now.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Are you the real trader4? Because I've never agreed with you in the past.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Nor with those voltages you don't, or with lightning either.

Via the earth, as I said.

But with the MEN system, the neutral is earthed.

Not enough to matter.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But plenty always earthed, most obviously with concrete floors and walls and metal plumbing and steel frames.

Nope, there is always plenty of earths around.

But if you do that, any heating element that fails will silently eliminate the floating supply and the next time someone gets between the active or return and earth, they can get electrocuted.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They're not criminals, they're just not pansies like you that play safe all the time.

I don't care about 1 in a million chances. You however fall for media hype and get upset about a few people in several million. More people probably die by falling down stairs. Would you like to ban all stairs?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I see lightning about once a year. Last time I was out digging in the garden, I continued and wasn't struck down. Funny that.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I see you're unable to answer my question. Go find some stats for accidents falling down stairs, then tell me why stairs should not be banned.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Of course because you see it about once a year, that's the typical rate around the world. And for the record, I think you're alleged observation is BS.

"Weather latest: 'Mother of all thunderstorms' hits Britain with 20,000 lightning strikes BRITAIN was struck by lightning between 20,000 times as the "mother of all thunderstorms" lashed large parts of the country throughout the night. "

That was from one day just two months ago.

Reply to
trader_4

Then don't live in dangerous places. I bought this house instead of another because it wasn't next to a river. M'colleague bought one pretty much next to the one I refused. His garden floods every couple of months. What a fool.

Can you find out how many of those hit my town? I'll help you out, it was zero.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife