Earths can be dangerous

Well maybe if they had a transformer for each house, but in the present setup its not a good idea to let it float..

Transformers for building sites are invariably step down to 110 odd volts.

You may wonder why we don't run the UK on 110?. Or 120 volts even?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not heard of double insulation on power tools these days?..

I think it would take some doing to harm the power cords on my Makita SDS and jigsaw tho;!

Reply to
tony sayer

UK mains can be anywhere. I've seen as low as 218 and high as 248 immaterial in the instance.

Yep as high as you like, infinite even..

Indeed why?. Its an example but as you do know there will be Capactive leakage any idea when that might be and he possible current flowing?

Reply to
tony sayer

But what would happen if say one side of you floating mains became connected to the metalwork of say the hot water cylinder via a duff immersion heater element and hence all that copper pipe going back to the lead buried incoming pipe?.

Reply to
tony sayer

Even those who believe in God, tend to want to stay among the living. Something you're obviously not at all concerned with.

Reply to
krw

Also that's why we have had GFCI (RCD? over there) on outdoor circuits here for decades now.

Reply to
trader_4

If, heaven forfend, that fantasy were to actually happen, we'd all be left waiting for another self appointed court jester to step into the breach. Me, I can manage without. As for the rest of you, I'm not so sure.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Of course most with sense would check first with a cable finder.

Even more sense to check with a cable finder.

The pretty common universal drills (with occasional DIYers) are the problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Used to work in broadcast, where safety of things like electric musical instruments could be a very real problem, given all metalwork in a studio was earthed. (Before the days of RCDs, etc)

The norm was to use one isolating transformer per instrument. A single large one feeding all simply doesn't provide the same degree of safety.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Odd as I thought we used to be 250. I have seen old stereos with a manual adjustment on the back for all sorts of voltages, usually in 5V steps anywhere from 210 to 250. I guess they may have been destined for other countries.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

'We' used to be DC too. In some parts of the country.

But then it wouldn't occur to a stupid brexiteer that standardisation for this sort of thing is in the interests of everyone. Long live Britannia. For those who wish to go back to Latin too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Difficult to tell the state of the heart after the event. Plus everyone has an ulterior motive, or is lazy. Just look at the reports for people's deaths, they never say much, just "old age", "exposure", etc, etc.

That's unfortunate, I would have thought he'd just get a fried tongue as the current would be from live to neutral only a few mm apart. If he'd been sat on something earthed, it would have been more likely to kill him, as the current would go through his vital organs. I once had a parrot chew through the wire behind a wall light. There was a very loud bang (I think the spark was echoed by the cone shaped glass shade), which made him fly away rapidly and the 5A lighting fuse blow. He didn't seem to be in any pain and didn't yelp. I assume he managed to short live to neutral but not through himself.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Mine varies from 244 to 256 (strangely before they replaced the substation just across the road, it was always precisely 241). Thus my computer and lights are connected through a UPS which levels the voltage to something more sensible. Amazing how much longer LED lights last now.

So you're basing the chances of death on a little bit of capacitive current.

If you were a 0.5 metre squared metal plate and the ground was the same under the plastic sheet, then it would come to about 150mA, not much more than the 50mA tripping current of an ELCB. But.... you're not flat, so only a small amount of you is actually touching the sheet of plastic. Most of you is much further away from the ground than a quarter inch. Plus you have quite a high resistance especially if you have dry fingers. You need the full mains voltage to lower your skin resistance.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Then you'd just get what we have today, 240V anchored to earth on one side. Anyway, most pipes are now plastic. My incoming waterpipe is a black pipe that looks like a very tough version of a garden hose.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

So do the same on washing machines and microwaves, then I wouldn't have to de-earth them!

I'm sure it's own blade could do it. I've sliced straight through the cord on my hedge trimmer.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Clare Snyder posted for all of us...

He is-pure and simple-a troll. I only read some of his postings for amusement purposes.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Who cares what my neighbour has? If my supply floats, it's safer, no path to earth.

Thicker cables.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I wasn't aware musicians were a bunch of pansies.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Standards do not require dictators, just friendly agreements.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 19:30:02 +0100, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

Where troll =3D "someone who disagrees with Tekkie".

-- =

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my Uncle Bob. Not screaming= in terror like his passengers...

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife