Earths can be dangerous

The cable was diagonal, but a metal channel would have stopped a standard masonry bit. The sheet deforms and a relatively blunt masonry bit simply stops.

I don't recall when the rules about safe-zones were implemented but believe it was post MP daughters death, and definitely post wiring in her house.

I've been told SDS bits can go through galvanised channelling somewhat more easily than masonry bits.

Reply to
Fredxx

wrong again. And almost time to plonk you.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Rubbish. You were given a perfectly valid reason NOT to disconnect your earths. I thought I'd made that abundantly clear: you are invoking the law of unintended consequences if you pursue this stupid and dangerous course.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If he errs once more I'll just KF him without announcing it. Announcing it only seems to prompt him to adopt a new identity (fortunately they're all easily recognisable as him).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, but that's the whole point, really. When something like this happens, investigation leads to changes to the regs to prevent it happening in future. I know they're not perfect, but on balance, we are better off following (the latest) set down procedures. I'm really surprised more sparkies haven't chipped in on this thread.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Some sparkies love the regs as they can make a mint just inspecting stuff and not doing any real work. The sparkies without the proper "training" and silly certification just get pissed off that they have to pay someone else to finish off a perfectly well done job.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I prefer equipotential bonding in a bathroom over the RCD protection that is now allowed.

Reply to
ARW

Do you really think that announcing it has any effect at all? Offenders are usually either clueless or intentionally annoying. Trolls may regard getting plonked as a positive result.

I wouldn't trust anyone's opinion but my own on who is worth reading and who is so stupid, tedious or annoying that they're best ignored. For example some posters have politics with which I strongly disagree but other opinions or technical knowledge that I find interesting or useful, so I tolerate the occasional annoyance, while a reader with opinions similar to my own may decide to killfile them. Given such fine granularity how would I ever know which plonks I should follow and which to ignore?

Reply to
Rob Morley

No one is suggesting you plonk someone who someone else has plonked without making your own mind up. It simply flags up that ignoring that poster *may* save you a lot of wasted time and effort in future. MAY!

Reply to
Chris

ISTR that you are a time-served sparks. What do *you* make of the OP's idea of disconnecting all earths from his appliances?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I would be delighted if he did so and killed himself.

Reply to
ARW
[snip]

I've heard the voltages called 115/230 long before these was such a thing as EU.

[snip]
Reply to
Sam E

So only those with weak hearts are thus affected?, I bet you won't find any medical reports on electrocution to back that up;!

Our hamster when i were a lad went and chewed the cable to the TV it blew his head apart poor little thing!.

No earths were involved in harming that animal;!.

Reply to
tony sayer

Well maybe if they had a transformer for each house, but in the present setup its not a good idea to let it float..

Transformers for building sites are invariably step down to 110 odd volts.

You may wonder why we don't run the UK on 110?. Or 120 volts even?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Not heard of double insulation on power tools these days?..

I think it would take some doing to harm the power cords on my Makita SDS and jigsaw tho;!

Reply to
tony sayer

UK mains can be anywhere. I've seen as low as 218 and high as 248 immaterial in the instance.

Yep as high as you like, infinite even..

Indeed why?. Its an example but as you do know there will be Capactive leakage any idea when that might be and he possible current flowing?

Reply to
tony sayer

But what would happen if say one side of you floating mains became connected to the metalwork of say the hot water cylinder via a duff immersion heater element and hence all that copper pipe going back to the lead buried incoming pipe?.

Reply to
tony sayer

Even those who believe in God, tend to want to stay among the living. Something you're obviously not at all concerned with.

Reply to
krw

You neglected the vitally important point about 110v building site transformers, the fact that the 110v secondary is centre tapped which is connected to earth turning it into a bi-phase supply with each phase operating at 55v with respect to earth, further reducing the risk of electrocution when using the 110v tool in damp and muddy conditions. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

If, heaven forfend, that fantasy were to actually happen, we'd all be left waiting for another self appointed court jester to step into the breach. Me, I can manage without. As for the rest of you, I'm not so sure.

Reply to
Johnny B Good