American mailboxes

Our mail delivery is usually in the morning.

UPS delivers around noon.

FedEx always seems to deliver around dinner time. In the winter, that's usually after dark.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband
[snip]

It that one detected things on the road it would be useless for detecting packages on the porch. It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes before it came on. I'd learn to ignore it after checking the porch every

5 minutes or so.

Sometimes I can tell when the mail comes by sound (vehicle starting and stopping frequently) but other times I'm busy or out back and miss that.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Mats may be what I want, especially if they're not so sensitive as to detect cats.

BTW, I do already have once sensor. A camera connected to a DVR that analyzed the video. However, it's too sensitive. Vehicles on the street, and tree limbs will set it off. Around Halloween and Christmas, it's useless because the flashing lights trigger it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

According to stats, Americans have smaller penises than Brits.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would I need anything like that number?

Nobody gets important mail every day.

Then it's not behind a locked whatever, is it?

No, you've just been typically American.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not enought time to read the whole thread, so maybe someone already said this.

I was a mailman for part of a summer in 1966, and got a week's training first. They knew I would likely have a different route most days.

They told me never to give the mail to the person, because once in a while someone will take mail for someone he is not. And to be sure to put it in the box. There were a mixture of apartments and houses on the route and most houses had exterior boxes. He said it was illegal to take mail from mailboxes (Maybe that just means the ones that have U.S. Mail embossed on them, but maybe it's any box set up to be used by the mailman.)

They do make boxes that lock and have slots to put in the mail, and I'm seen hundreds of them but none have ever had a lock on it.

Anyhow, I'm 70 years old and I've never heard of kids anywhere stealing mail from boxes for fun, but there have been quite a few cases (1000's out of 1000's of millions checks delivered) when probably adult knew when welfare or social security checks would be delivered and they were stolen and fenced.

That's why the SSA pushed direct deposit, and 2 or 3 years insisted on it. No more checks in the mail. Welfare departments have issues credit-card-like cards that they recharge, so no more check in the mail. I can't think of any weekly or monthly check that comes in the mail for any large group of people.

Most of the mailmen that have had my route over the last 33 years have given me the mail directly even when I was off my property, because they've met me.

And I have a slot in the door becuase the previous owner put it in, but it's wonderful. Not becuase of thett but because I can go away for 2 months without cancelling the mail. I just have to push the door a bit when I get home. Actually I think I could go away for a year and could still push my way into the house.

Reply to
micky

Per HerHusband:

What part of the USA is this?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per rbowman:

After watching the Boston Marathon debacle on TV, I came away with the impression that they had not even gotten the different-radio-frequencies problem identified by the 911 commission worked out yet.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Our mail box is not visible from our house. By the time I'm close enough to see the box, I might as well walk a few more feet and check it for mail.

No biggy, I need the exercise anyway.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Southwest Washington State, out in a rural country area.

When we first moved here we had lots of problems with mailboxes being destroyed with drive by baseball bats. I had to replace our box 5-6 times the first few years. I also made a pull out area for the mail carrier and moved the box off the road a ways. That seemed to help make it not so convenient for the drivebys.

Thankfully, whoever was doing it grew up or was finally caught. We haven't had an issue in over 20 years.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

If you are having a mailbox baseball problem, get the large size, or some other appropriate shaped "form" wrapped with rebar and with some sticking out the bottom. Set the standard box inside it and pour this solid with concrete. Set that on a 8x8 concrete block "post" with the cores doweled and poured solid with concrete. Set your rebar tails from the box in the wet concrete. My neighbor did this in Md and totaled a corvette that veered into it. The box had a lean to it and the block was chipped up a bit but it was still there.

Reply to
gfretwell

Best to check your local highway codes first. Here, anything within a certain distance of the centre-line is on the public right-of-way, and I suspect there are rules in place against dangerous structures in order to ensure safety of the motoring public as well as public employees. (snow-removal, etc.)

Regardless of codes, if someone ends up dead because of something stupidly dangerous your friend constructed, your friend can be sued. Also, whoever owns the land can be sued. (i.e. state / municipality).

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Not a lot of snow removing here in south Florida and when the Corvette guy tried to sue in Maryland, it was quickly pointed out, the damage was caused by his speeding and losing control of his vehicle on a residential street. If he couldn't miss a mailbox, what if it was a kid on a bike? They quickly folded up and left. If anyone wanted to say anything to me about building a hazard in the right of way, I would quickly point to the royal palms that are everywhere around here and the live oaks the city is planing right next to the road on US41, a federal highway with a 50 MPH speed limit. (read 65 in reality)

Reply to
gfretwell

No, it was just suggested that it flags mail for COLLECTION.

Grow up.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If it's a parcel I usually hear the back door of the van slam shut.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Presumably he meant you wouldn't see the light come on in broad daylight.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You guys light stuff up for Halloween too?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I get handed mine, but then the postman knows me. Even if not, it's easy to see it's my house I'm walking around when I have a mower or am going into my car.

In the UK in some less desirable towns, kids sometimes set fire to or put explosives or fireworks into the public mailboxes (the ones where you put a letter to get sent).

I thought the bank account was invented a long time ago.

Me too, I've had it handed to me 3 miles away.

Yes, a slot in the door is far better.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I could not find a definitive answer on liability but there have been dumb kids injured from some mailboxes. I do know it is illegal to set an intentional booby trap to injure someone.

My mailbox is by the street and yes, it is on town property. My property line is about three feet back from the curb.

Anyone can be sued, of course. I don't know the odds of winning though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not so much. There are a lot of turf politics and pissing contests.

Reply to
rbowman