american plumbing in the UK

We are in the process of building a new kitchen. For the tap we would like to use the same one we had in our last kitchen in the US. The fitting for these are indicated on the technical drawings as '1/2" NPSM coupling nut for 3/8" or 1/2" flexible riser'. Would I need any special adapter couple the standard UK plastic pipe to this? If so, where might I find such an adapter?

I realise that mixer taps are made a bit differently here, mostly to prevent syphoning from the hot water tank into the cold water system in the case of low pressure. Since we have a combi boiler, this isn't a concern, so assume the american taps can be used safely.

Thanks for any help.

Michael Dritschel

m,a,dritschel&ncl,ac,uk

, -> . and & -> @ for email

Reply to
Michael Dritschel

Apparently; The 'N' is for National versus the 'B' which is for British ... so the USAians have at least a different nomenclature if not any different size for their water connections;

American National Standard Pipe Threads

NPT: National Pipe Taper Thread A sealant compound or Teflon tape must be used for a leak-free seal. FPT: female (internal) National Pipe Taper threads MPT: male (external) National Pipe Taper threads NPTF: Dryseal American National Standard Taper Pipe Thread No sealant is needed for a seal. NPS: American Standard Straight Pipe Thread Used for mechanical joining -- holding a fitting in place. An O-ring or a metal seal is required. NPSF: Dryseal American National Standard Straight Pipe Thread

British Standard Pipe Thread BSPT: British Standard Pipe Taper threads BSPP: British Standard Pipe Parallel (straight) threads

Assuming that NSPM is National Pipe Standard _Male_ then one might need a BSP(parallel) ... ?

Aren't there water bye-laws insisting that only 'approved' appliances are connected to the water-main?

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Yes there probably are. We can buy some real crap fittings in UK no on will know where they are fitted or probably care. The US just sells th same , or often better quallity fittings for half the price.Bathroo gear , along with most other "household" stuff, is mostly made i China. The higher price fittings are made in Germany or the like but bet that in fact the production line is in the Far East (or soon wil be). I have no recollection of any fitting i have bought in UK bein labelled as suitable for local byelaws.(except for the water storag tank lid kit which i think is Bylaw 32? and ensures you have to buy huge amount of gear you do not need in most cases as you cant buy jus a lid.) Have you? You can still install a plumbing fitting abiding b the local byelaws (ie a non return valve in the system)but they do no have to be "approved" as far as i know just do the job the byela requires. If they are sold in the local plumbers merchant then they should b ok. By the way - a half inch American fitting will fit a UK half inc fitting no problem.

Fredd

-- freddyuk

Reply to
freddyuk

National Pipe Straight Mechanical - similar in thread form and threads per inch to BSPP except at small diameters.

Luckily In 1/2" size the threads per inch are the same but there is a slight difference on the thread OD 13/16" for BSPP and 27/32" for NPSM which for all practical purposes will make bugger all difference.

Reply to
Matt

That regulation never seemed to worry the DIY sheds much. A lot of the foreign mixer taps they sell have a one-tube spout and will connect the hot and cold supplies. Perhaps its legal to sell them, but not install in the UK?

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

I could easily fit a non-return valve on the cold water if this will make things compliant with various regulations, but I assumed that without a water storage tank, this was not an issue.

The tap we are considering is made by Chicago Faucets. Retail price translates to about £300, though you can get it for half that by shopping around. From experience I would say that the quality is as good or better than those from Pegler we have installed in the bath.

I have friends who have shopped for taps in France and the Netherlands to install here, both because the prices are quite a bit less for the same quality and because there is a wider range of styles available. Are there similar issues in this case?

Anyway, thanks to both of you for the helpful information.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Dritschel

Thanks! It's good to know that not everything has gone metric here!

Michael

Reply to
Michael Dritschel

It's (AFAIK) legal to use them in the UK, provided both H & C are from the tank. Commonly called 'bathroom' mixers, as kitchens traditionally need the two-pipe spout to keep the mains 'drinking' water separate.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm pretty sure the kitchen mixer tap I got from Texas (as it then was) 10 yrs ago only has a single tube in the nozzle. It rotates through 360 deg. without stopping. The 1960's mixer it replaced, which at one time were very common, did have did have two tubes in the nozzle, but wouldn't rotate all the way round. I can't think of a practical way to manufacture a 360 rotate with two tubes.

You tend to notice these things when you get an unexpected flood after fixing the plumbing because of water running from hot to cold via a mixer tap.

rusty

Reply to
Rusty

The two tubes are concentric, with the cold on the outside so the tap spout doesn't get too hot to touch.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Even the French use BSP pipe threads!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Me too!

Concentric separate channels. 360+ degree rotation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Wonder what they call them. ;-)