15W Faceted LED bulbs

Hi All,

I am having no luck with this on Amazon or Google, so I thought I'd throw the problem at you guys.

I have two bathrooms. Both have vanity light bulb outlets. The small bathroom has four outlets; the large bathroom has 10 outlets. I only fill one in the small bathroom with a 60w incandescent equivalent Led bulb. The large bathroom with two. Both bathrooms are bright as hell and your eyes hurt to look at the bulbs. If I were to fill all the outlets with 60W bulbs, I would go blind and get a severe sunburn.

So, my bright idea was to fill each of the outlets with low power LED bulbs that had some kind of faceting or some such on them, so you are not looking at a point source so it don't hurt your eyes and the light is scattered.

In the little toilet, I would need ~60W equivalent spread over 4 bulbs; in the big john, I would meed ~120W spread out over 10 bulbs.

Now here is the problem, I can get 4W equivalent Christmas tree bulbs, which are half as powerful as I need or I can jump to 40W equivalent bulbs, which is way too bright.

And I am after a color temperature of ~5000W.

Any of you know where I can find LED bulbs with some kind of scattering surface in the 10 to 20W equivalent range?

Many thanks,

-T

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by a "light bulb outlet".

"Outlet" is a layman's term for a receptacle. A receptacle accepts a plug and supplies AC power for lamps, appliances and other corded devices.

Do you mean a light bar like this?

._SL1000_.jpg

Of so, what size base do the bulbs have? Can you post a link to bulb that fits so we have the specs?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That round hole a standard light bulb screws into

Yes and they have the typical bases.

These fit:

If you come up with a bulb that is smaller, Amazon has lots of adapters.

The only 5000K LED at Walmart is equivalent in luminosity to a 40W incandescent:

Also, there are some LEDs ~25W equivalent, but at 2700K color temperature:

Note, you will need a base converter.

Also, there is apparently a CFL "daylight" which uses 14W, equivalent to a

25W incandescent:

Mike Duffy

I've not seen any smaller bulbs with that temperature. I'm guessing you've looked at the home depot and Lowes displays already. You may find something a

Ed Pawlowski

I just got some real cheap bulbs from Econotone through Amazon and found their site which you might want to search:

May be worth calling them.

Reply to
Frank

A couple of other thoughts...

  1. Buy higher brightness bulbs that are dimmable and dim them.
  2. Why do you want 5000k? I know its just personal preference, but that's much whiter than any of the original incandescents intended for that type of fixture. 3000k looks like "normal" bulbs when there are no higher color temp bulbs nearby. Also, most LEDs do not change to a warmer color temperature when dimmed like old incandescents did.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

Or if you don't want to pay for a dimmer, paint the bulb with a mix of white shoe polish & clear varnish.

Some are essentially a mix of LEDs of 3 colours. Depending on response curves of the various electronics, they might tend towards one of the primaries (red and/or green and/or blus) when total power falls of non-linearly with respect to the duty cycle provided by the dimmer.

Most though, are combinations of a blue diode plus a blue-activated yellow phosphor. When the power (of the emitted blue light) falls off, the non-linear response of the phosphor, combined with the non-linear response characteristics of the eye's photoreceptors, can produce a perception anywhere on the spectrum, depending on the vagaries of the non-linearities.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

I can see better.

I have to agree. I have 5000k in both bathrooms and the family room. Personal preference but it looks more natural to us. Incandescent was lower because that is the best they could do for decades and people accepted it ad normal. It was 2700k or darkness.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When it comes to bulbs, the "hole" is typically called a socket, not an outlet.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is an E26 base.

These aren't faceted, but they are 15W 5000K A19 LEDs:

These PAR30 bulbs seem to meet the rest of your specs:

DerbyDad03

Once alternatives (like 5000K+) became available, I didn't want to have that dirty yellow "warm white" light around.

BTW, strangely "warm white" CFL and LED lights seem even worse than incandescents.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When I said 15W incandescent equivalent, I mean the equivalent light output of a 15 watt incandescent bulb. The 15W links are for 15 Watt LEDS or 75 W incandescent equivalent. I go blind!

For a 15 W incandescent equivalent, the LED wattage would be more like 3 W

But thanks for looking anyway!

My final suggestions. Pick one:

DerbyDad03

I was hoping not to have to go that route. More crap to break and fail.

Thank you for the help anyway!

I've always wondered who's the mental midget who started using watts to describe light bulb output.

Maybe someday we'll start using lumens to describe light output?

Reply to
Bert

I don't remember where I found it. Lowes, Home Depot, Rural King? There is an outdoor yellow LED available.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I've got 6 dimmers in my house. Some are over 20 years old. I don't recall replacing any due to breakage, but I've upgraded a few.

Besides, the usefulness of dimmers, especially in bathrooms - the very rooms you are struggling with - far out weighs the need to replace a dimmer once a decade, if even that much.

Get the one with the biggest on-off switch. Set the dimmer to the output you like and only use the switch. Now there's even less chance of the dimmer portion breaking. Your choice of bulb is now basically unlimited.

Reply to
DerbyDad03