American mailboxes

I was just watching an American film and thought, "Why don't kids steal everyone's mail?" In the UK, most people have the mailbox INSIDE the house (or simply a letterbox opening in the front door). Surely kids are tempted to nick American mail, especially as it's right on the street.
--
Illegal is a big sick bird.

There are mailboxes on doors here too but single family homes on larger lots will have their mailbox outside on the street. Mail-carriers drive vehicles with steering wheels on the right (since we drive on the right, normal are on the left) and drop off mail without leaving vehicle.

Yes I can see it being more efficient for the mail people, although bloody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week late). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?
--
Customer explaining flooded car to insurance claim investigator:
"It didn't look that deep at first glance - it only came half way up the ducks."

,

y inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop dogs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week late ). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?

No one forced the home owner to buy a house that the mail box is at the end of their driveway. Mail does get stolen on occasion but not that often.
Are you saying people don't check their mail boxes if it's at the end of their driveway but perhaps once a week where you live?

In the UK, people sometimes (only 1 in 100) have boxes attached to the outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.
--
If our service isn't up to your standards, please lower your standards.

On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:53:23 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wr ote:
v.net> wrote:

wrote:

ger

ive

ght,

oody inconvenient for the home owners (people who have them here to stop do gs eating the letters never remember to check them and get letters a week l ate). And my original point, doesn't mail get stolen?

tside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put int o the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep chec king the box.

1 - How do you know that these 1 in 100 people "often" forget to check thei r mail? Do you know them all? Do they publish their forgetfulness in the local paper?
2 - How stupid would one have to be to see a mailbox on the outside of thei r house and forget to check it? And *often* forget to check it? Now that's really stupi d.
We've had a mailbox on the outside of our house for over 35 years. We check it every day except for Sunday. It's really not that hard to remember. See if you can un derstand this process:
Step 1: See Mailbox Step 2: Think: "Did you check for mail today?" Step 3: If no, check it. If yes, don't bother.
On Monday, February 13, 2017 at 10:10:36 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

wrote:
btv.net> wrote:

outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being put i nto the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to check i t (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your ho me on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep ch ecking the box.

eir mail? Do you

It does kinda silly and made up, doesn't it? I'd venture a guess that most people get some sort of mail each day. That might be junk mail, a letter, catalog, or a bill. He's trying to make us believe that everybody that doesn't get their mail through a slot in the door has Alzhiemers and completely forget to check their outside mail boxes.

eir house and

pid.

Yep! Not too bright when it comes to getting their mail, are they?

ck it every day

understand this

My house is 90 years old and so are the surrounding houses. Every single one has a mail box on the outside, just a step or two outside the front door. It ain't rocket science to remember to check to see if you have mail that day.

Most people do not bother checking mail every day if it's in a box. But if it's flopped into your hallway, you'll see it.

Why bother checking it every day if you don't get important mail every day?

It's unnecessary. My letters appear inside my house, I see them if they're there. I don't have to go outside, unlock the box, and check to find just junk mail.
--
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 11:16:46 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword w rote:
v.net> wrote:

rd wrote:

he outside of their house (not at the street), just to avoid stuff being pu t into the house (because the dog might eat it). They often forget to chec k it (as would I if I had one), because the mail doesn't appear inside your home on the carpet so you notice it, you actually have to remember to keep checking the box.

their mail? Do you

if it's flopped into your hallway, you'll see it.
Frigging idiot. How the hell do you know what "most people" do? Prove your claim.
I don't need to see my mail to remember to check it. My mailbox at work isn 't a slot in my door either. I somehow remember to check that mailbox also. Do you im mediately forget everything you don't actually see?
Besides, why would I want to spend good money on a quality, insulted door a nd then cut a hole in it?

their house and

stupid.

y?

Frigging idiot. How do you know if you got something important if you don't check it?
Do you pick your mail up off of your cruddy floor every day? If so, why? Wh y don't you just wait until you get something important?

check it every day

an understand this

re there. I don't have to go outside, unlock the box, and check to find ju st junk mail.

Frigging idiot. I guess if they ever let you out of your slimy house, you'd realize that you you can actually check the mail on the way back in, like maybe when you com e home from work. Wait. Work? You? Ha! Maybe when you come home from buying booze with your food stamps.
If you didn't live in a slum, you'd realize that not everyone has to lock t heir mail box.
Heck, I don't even have to step outside to grab my mail. I just open that n ice insulated door and reach into the box.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

One of the high points of the dog's day is to walk up the driveway with me to check the mailbox . Especially if we happen to arrive just as Aaron gets there with the mail . He gives good ear scratch .
--
Snag

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 10:16:46 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

And you know everyone doesn't check for mail if they have outside mail boxes how? Are people sending you e-mails saying they don't check outside boxes? You are walking the streets spying on people who have outside mail boxes to see if and when they look inside?

Ooooooooh, you KNOW what day(s)you'll be receiving *important* mail?

Who said anything about a locked box? I guess folks across the pond don't have screened, security, or storm doors. I have security storm doors on my house and no way would they be able to get any mail through those doors.
Give it up James, you're looking more and more silly with your continued whines about how things are done in the USA.

Because they've told me.

No. You misunderstood me completely. Nobody gets important mail every day, so they don't check it every day.

And your postman can?

I didn't whine, I asked how the system worked, but your stupid answers in this post have proved I should have done.
--
Organisms don't think of CO2 as a poison. Plants and organisms that make shells, coral, think of it as a building block. -- Janine Benyus

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 2:44:57 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword THE TROLL wrote:

Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people have told you they don't check their mail boxes every day. You must be one busy troll to know when people do and do not check their mail box.

How do you know they don't get important mail every day? Let me guess, you ASKED those hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people. You're probably just nosey and looking in their outside mail boxes to see what they're receiving. Heaven forbid you're lifting up that flap on their front door slot and peeking inside.

Don't be deliberately stupid. I've already told you my mail box is on the front porch, I don't have a mail slot. Reading compre- hension is not a strong suit with you I see.

My answers nor anyone else's have been stupid. We've explained to you but you insist on being an obtuse jerk.

Why would I need anything like that number?

Nobody gets important mail every day.

Then it's not behind a locked whatever, is it?

No, you've just been typically American.
--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the fuck happened.

According to stats, Americans have smaller penises than Brits.
--
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest. (Rev. Larry Lorenzoni)

You've probably noticed some people here know about when the mail carrier arrives. It's just a ritual to check for mail daily. My parents were avid readers. Getting the daily paper(s) was a big deal. There were also the monthly magazines. I think we got at least three farm related magazines. Getting the mail daily wasn't any different than feeding the cattle and feathered critters, picking eggs, etc.

What a fun life....
--
In the Nintendo GameCube instruction manual:
"Do not attempt to stick head inside deck, which may result in injury"

Mail might get stolen. It does not happen often. The mail carrier will also take outgoing mail and boxes have a flag on them to put up if there is outgoing mail. We don't leave outgoing mail out overnight.
Theft problem is more serious for packages too big for the box and left on the porch. Mail carrier as others point out will drive/carry packages to house. Packages are also delivered by other services like Fedex. If you don't have to sign for delivery they will just drop on porch or driveway.
More serious to our curb mailboxes is damage by vandals or getting struck by vehicles. Neighbor across the street has box situated such that it has probably been accidentally hit by everyone in the neighborhood. He's got it on a hinged post so if knocked over it can be set up-right.

I thought the flag went up with the weight of incoming mail?

Your postmen don't appear at the crack of dawn?

They don't do that here. They leave min e in a shed, but only because I've asked them to do so.

Mine leave with a neighbour (or they would if I didn't ask them to use the shed).

Or baseball bats.

If I was him I'd have embedded some dynamite.
--
Landing: A controlled mid-air collision with a planet.

Mail carriers are not out at rush hour and generally spend that time collecting and loading their mail. More than half our mail is junk mail, circulars and the like and has to be sorted into each box.
Vandals probably use baseball bats. Boxes along main roads are most at threat.
I've nearly tripped over packages left right in front of my front door and almost ran over one near the garage.
Thread reminds me that a few months ago I needed a new mail box as metal post had rusted out and new box was needed anyway. Could not find what I liked at local store and clerk advised looking on line which I did and got free shipping. Comical because besides new mail box and post, Home Depot also sent me a toilet seat and barbecue grill mat. I should have kept them but got them to come back for them.