Amazon is hiring, but 200-250 deliveries a shift?

The Walmart computer in Bentonville tells the manager how many registers to open based on the volume, both historically and that day. They have a little discretion but if their discretion loses Walmart money, he won't be a manager very long. Bentonville can see every register, what is being rung up and how fast. Like most business these days, the machines are setting the pace for the humans. They are "chasing Old Sparky". (A dog racing thing for you northerners)

Reply to
gfretwell

The ones I remember were the later models with the motor driven sorters.

Reply to
rbowman

Some plants had what they termed "bull worker" jobs. Heavy metal fabrication, forge work, or just physically demanding. You bypass the seniority and department stuff. I took a few of those jobs at the IH Tractor works (bulldozers) in Chicago and Melrose Park. Two of them were piecework, the rest daywork. Put your wages just below the skilled trades level. And you had no problems from the foremen. You weren't easy to replace.

Reply to
Vic Smith

ApplePay and GooglePay are much better, just wave the phone at the terminal.

Reply to
Sam Block

But is won't give me an e-receipt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One of my supermarkets does and I don?t have to specify that at the transaction either, just flag it to give me that every time.

Reply to
Sam Block

Not a transaction receipt, the itemized list of things you bought. Same as the register receipt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Depending on what we are eating, I have been mashing the reds with the skin on. They seem to go better with turkey gravy. With country fried steak I use the Russets

Reply to
gfretwell

More likely than you would suspect but I worked POS for 14 years and once they started running PC based registers there were always software bugs, not windoze related. Print buffer allocations were a chronic problem. They never seemed to think they needed as much as they do.

Reply to
gfretwell

That was what they had on these street cars when I was going to school in DC. The operator was always cranking the handle, whether there was money in there or not. They all seemed to do it.

gfretwell

Pay attention Rod I said FRIED potatoes. I never mentioned boiling. The only time I would boil a potato is if I am mashing it and then I usually add back some flavor.

Reply to
gfretwell

That?s what I get.

Reply to
Sam Block

That receipt I drop in the trash one the way out? What do you do with them?

Reply to
rbowman

Too many loose pit bulls.  No way I'd deliver packages in residential areas.

Reply to
Larry

No loose pit bulls here. No fences. Ok, my neighbor has his back yard fenced (his predecessor had big dogs), but he gets deliveries to the front door.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I glance at the e=receipt to be sure I was charged properly and got sale prices. Then never look at it again.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't live in Wayne County, you colossal moron.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I take the long view. I've been overcharged and undercharged. It probably balances out. A couple of times I've seen errors on the screen and asked the cashier to rescan. That's one nice thing about POS terminals.

Reply to
rbowman

An increasing number of stores want to know it you want an E-mailed receipt but that is just a way for them to fill your inbox with spam. I will have to watch but I think people who use electronic payments at Publix still get a register receipt, just like if you used a debit/credit card. The only receipts I save are when I am buying stuff for my FIL. I get reimbursed for them and it can be hundreds of dollars a month.

Reply to
gfretwell

I use the Publix app. No paper receipt. It was designed to eliminate contact. If you use a card you get one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski