Amazon is hiring, but 200-250 deliveries a shift?

Delivery Driver - job post Amazon Contracted Delivery Partners

72,890 reviews White Hall, MD 21161

Are you interested in a new opportunity where you can work independently, make a difference in your community, and delight hundreds of customers every day? Apply to be a Delivery Driver for an Amazon Delivery Service Partner (DSP) today. DSPs provide contracted delivery services to Amazon and are hiring Delivery Drivers to meet growing customer demand as we approach the holiday season. DSPs offer competitive compensation, benefits, a great company culture, and opportunities for growth. No delivery experience required - apply today to schedule your in-person or virtual interview. DSPs are making on-the-spot job offers contingent on meeting eligibility requirements.

What You?ll Do:

As a Delivery Driver, you?ll drive an Amazon-branded vehicle, delivering

200-250 packages per day. You will be a delivery hero in the neighborhoods you serve - delivering hundreds of smiles to customers every day in the form of critical supplies, household goods, toys and so much more. You can expect to work 4-5 days per week and up to 10 hours per day.

--- So if you're working even the max, 10 hours a day, delivering

200-250 packages, that's 20 to 25 an hour. That's 2:24 to 3 minutes a delivery. Considering parking, getting in and out of the truck, driving to the next site, traffic, trafic lights, plus the fact that the whole route might be 30 minutes from the warehouse, it seems awfully hard to do that. I guess meals are to be taken on your own time.

The houses are not close together in Whitehall. It's about 5 miles from the edge of suburbia, quite rural: https://www.google.com/maps/place/White+Hall,+MD+21161/@39.6178169,-76.633195,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c871f0940f25c1:0xd78bf1136b9e9915!8m2!3d39.6198067!4d-76.6290149?hl=en I can't tell for sure. There's a chance Whitehall is just where they are doing job interviews, and the job is centered around the big warehouse at Sparrow's Point, but if everyone is starting at the Point, some are goign to have to drive an hour to start their route!

Why You?ll Love Working For a DSP:

Earn more: competitive compensation starting at $17.50 per hour Compelling Benefits: paid time off and health insurance for all full time employees Independence: spend the majority of your day on the road delivering smiles to customers Stay active: you?ll be on the move during your shift as you deliver packages from the delivery vehicle to the customer?s doorstep Professional growth: many DSPs offer career growth opportunities such as moving into Lead Driver, Dispatcher, or Operations Manager roles, DOT certification, and professional development and training Team environment: a fun, fast-paced, and supportive company culture Equal opportunity employer: DSP is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.

What You?ll Need:

Must be at least 21 years old Must have a valid driver's license within the state of employment Must be able to move boxes up to 50 lbs., with or without reasonable accommodation

Health and safety are always a top priority for Amazon and the Delivery Service Partners Amazon contracts with. In partnership with one another, Amazon and the DSPs continue to consult with medical and health experts, and take all recommended precautions to keep everyone healthy. Amazon HVH

6 days ago
Reply to
micky

Your calculation is slightly flawed but it is still not good timing. Some orders will be two or three packages to the same stop. The 20 packages per hour may be 15 stops. or 4 minutes.

I can see that in a neighborhood or row houses in the city or a big apartment complex.

Thanks for the information but I've decided not to apply.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bezos thought turnover was good, that people become complacent and lazy after a few years. Everyone is measured for performance too. Have a bad day and you can be gone.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I didn't read the whole thing but an Amazon driver is like the mailman here. They probably want someone to drive around West Baltimore or something. It's a delivery driver. I did that. (Meat and iced chickens). It is just a groove you get into, you learn fast, which intersections to avoid etc I actually doubt they have a choice what road to take. It comes down their in truck terminal. Google Maps probably generates that route on your GPS. You just need to keep up. That is the complaint. The computer thinks it knows where you need to be and you are a greyhound chasing a rabbit. If you want a job where you don't have to think much and you get to play "Ding Dong Ditch" a couple hundred times every day with benefits and good money. Somebody will bite at that.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is about like fast food. When I was on that project in the early

90s they had a 200% turnover and some people had been there 15 years. It is a special sort of job that gives opportunity to people who don't want to move to Detroit and "put wheels on Cadillacs". The new UAW contracts are Amazon kind of money to start.
Reply to
gfretwell

It is like any other factory except you get to go outside if you drive. Working in a distribution center is about like any modern factory. You are feeding machines and taking out their poop. At most of these places the machines set the pace for the people. They are chasing "Old Sparky".

Reply to
gfretwell

Depending on the benefits a company offers and the job, turnover may be good for the bottom line. If say after 5 years you get an extra week vacation or vested in a retirement plan turnoveris good.

I worked at a factory that had about 2000 hourly workers that worked rotating shifts. Most of the jobs were simple and could be learned in a week and some of the more demanding jobs had 2 people so one could do the main thinking while the other was there for other tasks. The company had great benefits for those that stayed. Up to 5 weeks vacation, eairly retirement at 55 years old if there 30 years, good pay. So if the company could get you to leave after 4 years they were way ahead of things. There was a lot of turnover simply because of the rotating shifts. Otherwise it was a great place to work for many years. Many people stayed for 25 to over 30 years that could handle the rotating shifts. The company would bring in about 20 people almost every month and were lucky if more than one stayed more than 3 months. Most made it to the week they had to work the 11 at night to 7 in the morning shift.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I used to work straight days, with lots of overtime. IT maintenance. OT was often used for scheduled maintenance but also for emergency repairs. All billing was internal, i.e. we billed whichever department owned the computers that we were working on. Distribution, engineering, admin, etc. They all had huge maintenance budgets.

Our OT pay was based on the 2 - 4 - 6 plan for nights and Saturdays.

Company policy was that all OT was billed at a minimum of 2 hours. No one really checked how long we worked, so we usually billed the department for a minimum of 4 hours. At time & a half, we got paid for 6 hours. Thus the nickname "2 - 4 - 6 plan".

Sundays & holidays? 2 - 4 - 8 ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

If ran, say, a supermarket, I'd tell the new stock clerks that they had an entry-level job which should lead to a better job soon. That if they had a good 1 or 2 years, I'd get them a substantial promotion or if there was no vacancy, I'd write them a glowing letter so they could get a job that paid more and took advantage of their talents**.

I don't know if cashier is an entry-level job. I used to think so, but their job is pretty complicated plus they handle the money. Probably I'd say the same thing to them,

Or anyone who worked at Amazon.

Rotating shifts would be nice because sometimes you would be home when your wife and children are, and other weeks you could do errands that can only be be done 9-5, or play golf or go canoeing on a weekday. But being able to sleep at frequently changing times would have been hard or impossible for me for much of my life.

**This isn't really related but for a while I had a neighbor boy who mowed my lawn, He once laughed that his friends worked at McDonalds, etc. but he made at least twice as much per hour mowing lawns.

One time, he read in the HOA newsletter that the monthly meeting was at my house, and he made a point to mow my lawn before the meeting. Most high school kids would, I think, not even look at an HOA newsletter, let alone pay attention go mow my lawn.

Now he's a VP of one of the biggest companies in the US and CEO of one of its sub-corporations. His teen-age kids showed up to help in the neighborhood cleanup where their grandmother lives.

Reply to
micky

Yes, I assume the "directions" part of GPS devices was originally written for trucking and delivery companies, because they would pay for something like that, and later offered to everyone.

Reply to
micky

I have a friend who works at Kroger. Not the supermarket, but at the plant where they manufacture their store brand soda and ice cream.

Everything is by seniority. Choosing vacation times, shifts, etc. All the lower-level workers are just waiting for someone to die or retire so they can get ahead.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Years ago you had to have something on the ball to run the cashregister.

Now almost any idiot could do it. You slide the item over the scanner and put it in a bag. When done the register shows the money it costs. You enter the money they give you and the register gives the ammount of money to give back. Probably 99.9% use debit or credit cards so very little money ever changes hands. I bet one could be trained in less than a day to do that. If anything unusual comes up, you ask a supervisor.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Lots of companies are like that. Sometimes a job will open up and the company may go by training or best person suited for the job.

I used to work in a plant and everything was by seniority also. There were many departemnts and they usually went by department before going plant wide with the better jobs.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Back in the '80s I was thinking about a second career and interviewed with the dean of the NYS Forestry school. They had an accelerated program if you already had a degree. He explained that going into the Forestry Service meant waiting around for someone to die. Most of the graduates either went to companies running tree plantations in the south east or became surveyors.

A few years later I volunteered with the FS and saw that firsthand. There were many people taking seasonal jobs with the hope there would be a permanent opening.

Reply to
rbowman

I often use the self-checkout kiosk unless I have loose produce. Identifying and coding durian and the like must be the hardest part. I've even had cashiers ask me about more common items like eggplant and rutabaga.

Reply to
rbowman

Two days ago I had the cashieer at a food store ask me what kind of potato I had. I don't know what kind, it is just the kind I always buy to microwave to eat. Not the already wrapped ones, just a loose potato. It was probably an Irish potato. I think this was a new employee as I do not recall seeing him before.

This grocery store amazes me. They have 4 or more checkouts open all the time out of the 8 lines. The parking lot stays full and there is almost always someone getting their groceries checked out in each line and maybe or maybe not someone in line, but seldom 2. The local Walmart has around 20 checkout places and seldom have more than 3 manned and often 3 people in each line waiting.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Irish potato? Is this 1850?

It was probably a russet potato, often called an Idaho potato.

Next time it would be prudent to examine the display when selecting your potato.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

You are probably right, Idaho patato, not sure why I said Irish. All I know is I look at the potatoes and pick out the ones that I like. Same with apples and a few other things.

Meat is what I look at to see the cuts I want depending on what I am cooking. For the meat I mostly buy that at one store as some stores seem to have very tough meat . Like a rib eye at one store will be tougher thanat the store I go to.

I never buy tomatoes in a store. I either grow my own or go to some known fruit stands. Those store bought things remind me of red cardboard or styrofoam..

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Around here the cashiers do more than that. They examine and cash checks, they reverse charges, they enter barcode numbers when the scanner won't work, and there must have been other things to to cause me to say what I did.

That certaily wasn't true here before corona. Lots of people paid cash. It will be interesting to see if the do again when/if corona is not a problem.

As to check out clerks, Walmart is the worst. and I'm judging from before Corona. I guess this must mean they don't pay enough. I would think having enough cashiers would increase profits. I went and put back once what I wanted to buy, and I walked out. Line too long, and after that I only went when they were the online nearby place.

The post I made about Amazon hiring started when I searched on the rumor that they are moving into the old Walmart and Sam's Club in Owings Mills. It seems pretty much true that the landlord woudn't renw the leases, maybe because Amazon had made an offer Together the two stores are pretty big and they have big parking lots, which I guess a warehouse/distribution hub would not need, so they could build more warehouse.

Reply to
micky

Probably illegals or drug pushers dealing in cash.

Sometime during the last year I went to a busy grocery store and they had a sign up that one of the registers was for cash only. Seems that there was a shortage of money in the area to make change with so they put all the cash in one register.

There used to be a couple of restraunts around here that would not take a credit or debit card. Some even had a bank teller machine (what ever they are called) where you could put your card in and get money back. I think they did put in the credit card machines a bout 2 years ago.

During a power outage the local McDonalds could cook, but the computer stuff was off line for orders. There were several people doing the cooking and things, but only one older man was taking in the money. The others could not function if the computer did not show how much money to give back as change.

Most places just hand you the money back in one handfull. Before computer resisters they would count the money back in a certain order. I think they started with the coins to make a dollar, then one dollar,

5, and 10 dollars.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery