A/C vs. swamp cooler? (2023 Update)

Since there's a few hundred free channels, why do you need more than that? The film on the pay channel will be on the free channel next year anyway.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I told our dish company to f*ck off. Every couple of months they'd phone me up trying to get me to subscribe to more channels. I lost my temper with one of them and told him to close my account. He said I'd have to get passed through to the cancellations dept. I swore repeatedly, put the phone down, then told the bank to ban any payments to them.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Some of us just hate the commercials although a DVR tends to dampen that a bit since you can run delayed and skip over them.

Reply to
gfretwell

It dampens it completely. I haven't watched an ad since they were invented. And since I have three ad blockers running in my browser, I don't see adverts online either. It always seems to amaze folk when they talk about a current advert and I have no idea what they're on about.

And since I watch all TV online, whoever ripped it removed the ads for me.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Racist pig...

Reply to
rbowman

I've yet to hear a sensible reason why racism is wrong.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Indirectly. A lot of the programming is included with Amazon Prime. I had Prime for years before I even watched any of their video stuff. The two day free shipping is what makes it for me. You also get a free Kindle book at the first of the month. A lot of them suck but I have gotten some that I really enjoyed and introduced m to new authors.

Reply to
rbowman

I've never had cable/sat. PBS comes OTA but about all I watch is Austin City Limits and The Kate sometimes. 11th and Grant is good to but I think that's strictly Montana PBS and not national.

I can wait for the cable TV stuff like Bluebloods to show up on Netflix DVDs.

Reply to
rbowman

Most of them aren't all that vicious. Black bears and lions aren't protected in this state. I meet them in the woods, bears fairly frequently and cats less so, and there has never been any bloodshed. They belong there and I like seeing them around.

Same with alligators. I've paddled through the Okefenokee Swamp and the place is overrun with gators; no problem. The damn raccoons were more of a nuisance.

Reply to
rbowman

First, there are only 5 OTA channels in this location if you don't count the subchannels. About the only one I watch regularly is PBS.

Second, when the broadcast shows make it to DVD or streaming video THERE ARE NO GODDAMN ADS!

Reply to
rbowman

Ebay is much cheaper for everything and has more stuff available, and you can tell where it's coming from, and they tell you what the shipping cost is. If I search for stuff on Amazon, the postage isn't included in the search results, there's less stuff available, I can't tell who's sending it, it costs more, and their feedback system is unclear.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

According to Aussies, you can't swim in a creek/lake/river/whatever if there's crocs/gators in it, or you die.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

And I though the USA had way more channels. I can get about 200 channels without paying a penny in the UK.

Fast forward, f*ck the advertisers.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

In that case I have two racist cats.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I am aware of the basement thing but a lot of them still have water problems. You are right, a basement here is going to be an indoor pool. You can dig a well with a post hole digger. It is just nasty water. Most of those "bedrooms" are illegal since they don't have proper egress. The "window well" in a basement does not provide enough clear space to call that an egress so you need a door to the outside in the bedroom(s)..

Reply to
gfretwell

It's a very simple term isn't it? Someone who believes one race is superior to another.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

What's wrong with going through the door you entered? My normal bedroom has a window, but it's only the top bit that opens, so I can't leave through it without violently smashing toughened double glazing with a heavy object I don't have in the bedroom. But then I'm not a pessimist and don't require two forms of exit.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

It is all about what happens if the house is on fire and you wake up in a room full of smoke. They don't want you to have to go towards the fire. You certainly don't want to be trapped in the basement if the fire is upstairs.

Reply to
gfretwell

That would work a lot better if so many of the white people I've come across weren't ignorant, bottom-feeding wastes of oxygen. Some of them are reverse Oreos -- white on the outside and black in the middle.

Julius Evola made it past simplistic biological racism. There is a spiritual component too.

Reply to
rbowman

No, SOME of them are illegal - but many if not most have proper egress. Does not need to be IN the bedroom, but needs to be easily accessible from the bedroom. Bedrooms DO require minimum window area based on floor area though.

Reply to
Clare Snyder