A/C vs. swamp cooler?

Has anyone ever compared power usage between a swamp cooler and a small window A/C? I suspect the A/C uses a bit more power. or is it significantly more? It would be a lot more convenient than a cooler. There seem to be a lot of water pump, fan belt, pad water distribution and other problems with a cooler despite decades of using one.
Thoughts?
TIA

It wouldn't matter to me which was more efficient. A swamp cooler is a pretend AC unit. It evaporates water, therefore humidifying the room. Also a real AC unit can run in reverse and serve as a heat pump for winter.
--
Warren wanked William while Wendy wildly wobbled Wayne's Willy within warm water.

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 9:44:59 AM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

You must have different "real AC units". Mine won't run in reverse. It's pretty much exactly like this: <https://www.goodmanmfg.com/resources/heating-cooling-101/how-central-ac-systems-work Except it and the supply air ducts are located in the basement of my single-story house.
Cindy Hamilton

Why on earth could an AC unit not run backwards? You just reverse the pump. Every one I've seen in the UK (commercial and home) has been able to do this. The controller usually has settings for heating, cooling, or automatic. On automatic you can simply set a range (say 18 - 22C) and if it goes over, it cools, if it goes under, it heats.
--
How do you scare a man?
Sneak up behind him and start throwing rice.
On 5/7/2018 9:08 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote: ...

Those aren't "just" AC units; they're heat pumps specifically designed and built to do so....an AC unit is just that; the condenser/compressor connected in cool mode without all the other auxiliary arrangements to operate in heat/cool mode.

How hard is it to make a motor run in reverse?
--
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".

On 5/7/2018 9:32 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

That's not what is done; what _is_ done is much more efficient but just reversing the motor on an AC unit won't "get 'er done" in reality.
<http://www.refrigerationbasics.com/RBIII/heat_pumps1.htm>

Ok so it's a load of valves instead of just running the compressor backwards, but basically it's just reversing the flow.
--
He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a dustcart reversing.

On 5/7/2018 8:02 AM, dpb wrote:

His brain runs in reverse. Why not uh air conditioner??

and the pump is NOT reversed. There is just a rather complex little device called a "reversing valve" which switches the high and low side of the compressor between the "evaporator" and the "condenser" - making them trade places and functions.
On 5/7/2018 10:08 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

For most of us, no need. We only use cooling here for two months. We have very efficient central heat and the AC goes into a window in the summer for cooling only. It can also get very cold here.
In more mild areas, central AC with heat pump is common and works well.

If you only cool for 2 months, I assume you heat for more than that. Why wouldn't you want a heat pump for that? Why wouldn't you want them both to be the same unit?
--
Two fish swim into a concrete wall. One turns to the other and says, "dam".

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 10:33:09 AM UTC-4, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

You know so damn much, why are you asking us? Go figure it out yourself. I for one, won't educate you. All you do is turn your troll questions into a 300 post thread of BS.

I've pointed out a superior system and asked why you're using the old one. I'm waiting for an answer.
--
If you eat a judge's uniform you might contract a lawsuit.

I looked into buying one in the UK. The cheapest one runs both ways.
--
Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.

On 5/7/2018 2:02 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Surem but it would be 40% cheaper if it only cooled. You guys get hosed.

No, in the UK we want heating more often than AC, so it makes sense it can do heating too.
--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'

And not just megabucks - Gigabucks and terrabucks

If it cost that much nobody would have them.
--
Oh my goodness what a caper, someone's pissed on the magic paper.

On 5/7/2018 9:08 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

[snip]

What you're describing is what is referred to a split unit system or inverter. After screwing around with a through the wall A/C unit which was noisier than all get out in the size needed to cool the addition, I finally got smart and picked up a split system (air handler inside, compressor/inverter outside). What a difference. Very quiet (hard to tell it's running, actually), and much cheaper than our old A/C unit. And, as you say, when heat is needed, the system reverses itself and heats the interior drawing heat from outside even when it's in the 20F degree range outside.