A/C vs. swamp cooler? (2023 Update)

As the article says forced air is also good at recycling dust if the filters aren't kept clean and tends to dry out the air even more. I have air but would prefer water. Many places I've lived had water/steam heat and I didn't see a disadvantage. The old steam systems could be noisy too while the hot water circulation pump broadcasts its noise through the plumbing.

Reply to
rbowman

You haven't seen my non-frost-free freezer apparently. I seldom use it and defrost it about once a year when the ice buildup impacts the shelf space.

Reply to
rbowman

Tell you what. I'll draw you a map. Start from Mexico 2 and head toward Yuma with a gallon jug of water. We'll see if you make it.

Reply to
rbowman

New Improved England? Everybody was doing it. I grew up in New Netherland. People there didn't care much for New England; bunch of religious fanatics. The Puritans loved religious freedom so much one of the first things they did was hang four Quakers. No wonder they got booted out of England.

Reply to
rbowman

Do you even have a point? The wetter the air, the less your sweat works.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Thanks for proving my point.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

A dirty furnace filter can't recycle dust. It gets plugged and if anything will catch more dust.

Reply to
trader_4

I understand basic physics, clearly you don't. What on earth makes you think it's easier for your sweat to evaporate when there's already water in the air?

I don't see how the queen is relevant, but like most of the UK population I wish the parasite would go away. She's not in power, the prime minister is. She does nothing and gets paid millions for it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

That is why we have a fake one. It is a Dimco and the fire looks pretty real (not just a roller wrapped in crumpled foil with a light behind it). Most of the time it is just running in fake mode using a few watts of power but there is a 1.44KW heater in there that is plenty to warm the living room.

gfretwell

More likely a Cherman than a Pole. Danzig was it's (East) german name. When it became part of Poland it was knownn as Gdansk.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Your lungs and sinuses are not really that happy at 0% humidity tho and it would be worse for a guy like you who grew up in a wet place. My lips chap and my nose bleeds at 10-15% out west. OTOH those people die here when it is 90f 90r/h and they brag about jogging when it is 105 on Phoenix. I can be out there in the afternoon mixing concrete in a wheelbarrow.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ben there, done that. STINKTY stuff!!! At least the new burners burn a bit cleaner and there is less sulphur in it than their used to be...

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A few watts? All the ones I've seen require two 60W incandescent bulbs which rotate little fan things and make the red light flicker.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

If a freezer is not opened to let in humid air it is VERY dry.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Oil Forced Air was the "standard" for North American central heat for decades. A LOT less problems than hydronics - and if the power goes out and it gets cold Hydronics can get REAL EXPENSIVE, and REAL FAST!!!!!

There is nothing simpler for central heat than forced air - whether gas,(natural or propane), oil, or wood fired. Electric is just as simple, but HELLISHLY EXPENSIVE - particularly here in Ontario.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That is a PTAC. They also make a regular window shaker that has a heat pump function. My neighbor had one in her "Florida room". It was about

3/4 ton and did a good job on a 350 sq/ft room that was all windows with a pan roof and zero insulation. It doesn't really get cold here tho.
Reply to
gfretwell

Window shakers sit on the sill and that carries most of the weight, The window frame keeps it from falling out. The new ones are really pretty light and they don't actually "shake" much. Some of those old ones took two people to pick up and they rattled the pictures on the wall when the compressor shut down.

Reply to
gfretwell

It is just what people get used to and since AC is not that big a deal, the economy of scale is not there. Retrofitting a duct system into an existing house is pretty hard to do too. Houses here are designed around the duct system. (at least the ones that are well designed)

Reply to
gfretwell

The best filters are pleated paper like a Space Guard and the filter elements themselves are getting pretty cheap. The only thing better is the electrostatic filter and you still need a pretty good prefilter in front of that.

Reply to
gfretwell

The exhaust is meant to be outside the house?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife