A/C vs. swamp cooler? (2023 Update)

Lucky you But the AC runs almost full time half the year - and that;s just when the power isn't out due to a Hurricane --

We had hurricane force winds here over the weekend - a once every 50 year or so occurence - the highest winds recorded here since records started being kept - even higher than Hurricane Hazel back in '54.

You Floridians can have em!!!!!

Over the last number of years we've used the AC for a few weeks each summer (we're cheap - we put up with more heatr and humidity thasn many of out neighbot=rs) and the furnace is turned on from about thanksgiving (Columbus day to you 'mericans) till May 24 (Memorial day for you 'mericans)

The furnace has run 700 hours this season with just over 3 weeks lest to go ( and the furnace shut off for several days aleady with windows and doors open)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Seems water should be at a premium in the desert. I'd think your water bill may take a hit.

Reply to
Vic Smith

It's just a standard window unit (usually 12000 BTU) with a reversing valve installed. Not very common at all since the mini-splits have become available at semi-reasonable price-point.

I think I've seen a total of 2 or 3 in North America outside of the old through-the-wall motel units - which are also thankfully being repolaced by mini-splits in new motel construction.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Most "air source" heat pumps. Ground source or geothermals can pretty much handle it without heat-strips - even up here.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

A "cold day" is a cold day, no matter which scale you use when it hits -40

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The only real advantage to the celcius scale is it follows the metric - or "decimal" system - 100 degrees between freezing and boiling water. (instead of 180)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

a hunk of peat on the grate.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

To avoid using the same system as the Eurotrash?

Reply to
rbowman

When it's 103 F getting too cold is not a consideration.

Reply to
rbowman

Surem but it would be 40% cheaper if it only cooled. You guys get hosed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why, when we have more efficient central heating systems using lower cost fuel? They are good in some areas, but not all. My new house will have a heat pump but it is a much more mild climate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Fahrenheit scale is a temperature scale invented by a Polock physicist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686?1736).

Reply to
Chuck Dumbrowcyzk

t doesn't have a zero in a sensible place? C is easy - 0 is freezing 10=

0 is boiling. Of water, the most important thing on the planet.

cist Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit (1686=E2=80=931736).

Yes, and?

-- =

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my Uncle Bob. Not screaming= in terror like his passengers...

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Just looked up heat pumps, and depending on the design, they can function down to -25C outdoor temperature.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

There must be a reason America uses air and Britain uses water. Both seem to have advantages, but what would annoy me are draughts and noise, so I'd always fit water:

Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Non-frost-free freezers manage just fine. And the inside of a freezer is most certainly not dry.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

If it cost that much nobody would have them.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I've never understood that, I thought the fright/pain/shock came from the current, which is the same if you're holding a key. Yet I can't feel it at all with a key. So is it not actually an electric shock but instead the hot spark?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

If you walk around your house naked in summer, you need less AC.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Trouble is that needs a lot of digging to install. I hate digging.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife