A/C vs. swamp cooler? (2023 Update)

That's a big advantage.

Also the 0 at the same point as freezing.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I detest fireplaces. When not in use, you can hear the neighbour's dog through the chimney. And presumably you're losing a lot of heat through it too.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Not everything they do is stupid, only 99% of it.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Precisely. I'd want 0% humidity so my sweat could evaporate as quickly as possible.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No, in the UK we want heating more often than AC, so it makes sense it can do heating too.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I can use electricity or gas. Gas is way cheaper, but you can't run a heat pump with it. Heat pumps cost about the same to run as gas.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Here in New England water is still used a lot. I have baseboard and it does an excellent job providing even heat and no noise. Central AC is not as popular here as in warmer climates.

Another reason is fuel. Oil is still the most used and works best with water. Electric, either resistance or heat pump is very expensive here with the highest rates in the country.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nearest gas is 1/4 mile away. We use oil.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Similar cost to gas.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Could you guys not have thought of an original name?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

You see them in motels, at least that's where I've mostly seen them. Not exactly a window unit, but through the wall, self-contained.

Reply to
trader_4

To each their own. We run the blower on the HVAC system constantly. We often have the ceiling fans running as well, particularly in the summer when the rooms are much more comfortable if we don't let warm air collect near the ceiling. Like most cold-climate houses, our ducts feed air near the floor, having been designed before home central air was popular.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

I'm surprised glass can support the weight of those things.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Does it make an audible noise? Do you ever notice the draughts? If it's so perfect, why isn't the UK ditching their water systems? I've not seen one single air system over here, so there must be something wrong with them.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

[snip]

The glass doesn't provide the majority of support, the window sill does and if it can't handle the weight of an A/C unit you have far bigger problems. The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being taken by the bottom rail in a double hung window. Nothing major if properly installed.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

ote:

More like the glass doesn't provide any of the support, unless it's an unusual window. Again, the idiot is just trolling.

The unit is pretty much balanced there with some force being

Reply to
trader_4

I'd still be concerned by vibration.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

There are millions of them in use. Problems are rare, usually from homeowner mistakes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In my experience glass is bloody fragile. It surprises me it doesn't shatter more often.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Being born in Danzig doesn't make him a Pole...

Reply to
rbowman